You never know

By Anonymous - 19/05/2015 11:43 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I was fired for not asking a senior citizen for proof that he was over 21 and legally allowed to purchase alcohol. When I told my manager he was clearly over 21, he replied, "But what if he WASN'T?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 520
You deserved it 3 587

Same thing different taste

Top comments

crazy kids and their drama class. of course he was under make up to look over 60!

Comments

I've been to more than one gas station that checks EVERYONE buying alcohol. Seen people clearly over 60 get carded. It must be their policy or the local law to check all identification when buying alcohol. . I'm not saying it's not stupid but if that's what the employer enforces then you got to do it regardless off how ridiculous it may be.

Some places always card...but think about bad grandpa any teen could put that suit on and buy alcohol...but either way appeal it you should get your job back

And why should an appeal get op's job back? If the company policy is to card EVERYONE, YOU CARD EVERYONE, no matter how ridiculous it is. If that is the case, it isn't an unlawful termination...

But there is no statement of that he had to card everyone...so an appeal would actually be relevant

What if it was Benjamin Button and you just served a 7 year old who looks 80? Or maybe it was aliens!

If the policy at the place you worked at was to card everyone no matter what, then there's a reason you lost your job. It sounds stupid, yes, but a lot of places have rules like that. It's not unlawful termination if that was a rule you were supposed to follow and you broke it.

JayVicious 20

i worked at a gas station when i was bout 21... our policy was to card everyone no matter how old they looked. i litterally had to ID a group of senior citizens (bout 8 of em) that were buying wine. they were all over 75 thankfully they thought it was hilarious and moronic which i agree. if i had not carded them all since they were in a group i would have been fired on the spot.

i think in az as long as the customer appears to look over 32 you dont have to

nitemastr15 17

I got un trouble for the same thing once. then a few weeks later got written up for asking a senior for his ID because he complained that I asked.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

I'm with your boss. have you seen Johnny Knoxville

ViviMage 38

According to the California website: Q. Would the licensee be in violation of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act for selling an alcoholic beverage to a person under 21 who appeared to be twenty-one years of age or older? A. Yes, the licensee is required to exercise the caution which would be shown by a reasonable and prudent person in the circumstances. (Section 25658) This is saying yes, if you don't card, you are in violation.

@37 How is IDing a senior citizen "reasonable" in any sense of the word? When the person looks like they MIGHT be under 21 is the prudent standard for checking IDs: Per the Kraut Law Group (a Los Angeles law firm) on their website on the matter of selling alcohol to a minor: "A defendant is not guilty of this offense if he or she reasonably and actually believed that the person was at least 21 years old. Additionally, a defendant would not be guilty of this offense in the following circumstances. 1. The defendant or his or her employee or agent demanded to see a government-issued document as evidence of the person’s age and identity 2. The person showed the defendant a government-issued document, or what appeared to be a government-issued document as evidence of age and identity AND 3. the defendant actually relied on the document as evidence of the person’s age and identity." The short of it is that asking for an ID shields the business from legal liability, but so does the absurdly reasonable assumption that Grandpa is over 21. OP is 100% in the right UNLESS his employer had an explicit policy of IDing every customer regardless of all reason.

OP's not being charged with a crime, so this is irrelevant. His employer can fire him for almost any reason and there is nothing he can do about it. It's not right, but that's the way it is.

pull the what if you weren't a massive dick? to your boss