You never know

By Anonymous - 19/05/2015 11:43 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I was fired for not asking a senior citizen for proof that he was over 21 and legally allowed to purchase alcohol. When I told my manager he was clearly over 21, he replied, "But what if he WASN'T?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 520
You deserved it 3 587

Same thing different taste

Top comments

crazy kids and their drama class. of course he was under make up to look over 60!

Comments

It sounds like your boss has a serious case of brain damage.

Wow. Your boss went full retard. You never go full retard. I haven't been carded since I was 17, sue for wrongful termination, as far as I know U.S. law doesn't require an I.D. check on regulated substances such as alcohol or tobacco as long as you look over 40. Most areas don't card if you look a day older than 21.

US law does not require that you card anyone for anything. It does require that you not sell restricted substances to minors and has some pretty harsh penalties if you do. US law also does not say anything about checking older peoples ID when selling restricted substances. Many locations that sell restricted substances have policies about carding people, which are not the law in any way but still must be followed by employees of those locations. If OP's workplace had a policy about carding everybody, that is what they should have done. OP wasn't fired for being gay or black, they were fired because they didn't check a customer's ID and have no case for a wrongful termination lawsuit.

I work somewhere where we have to ID everyone no matter what they look like, every single time they come...it's really a pain especially for the older customers, sometimes I have to ID people born in the 1920's...

PANDORUM89 21

as someone with a license to sell alcohol I know for a fact that you do not have to card someone if they clearly look above the age of 40. I once carded someone who looked 20ish and he was actually 30. its an awkward feeling but if you aren't sure card them. if they are clearly in their 60+ range then I do not believe that your boss could fire you.

Your job is to check IDs, not make judgement calls. You and your boss both could have been arrested and fired if you were wrong. I knew a guy in high school who had a full head of gray hair at 17 years old. Looks can be deceiving.

"Then I guess I'll have to congratulate the boy on the makeup job well done!" Some people, I swear…

Queen_of_Night 20

Some states also require people who consume alcohol to have their ID's on them. Louisiana was like that for awhile, I think it got overturned.

There is nothing unlawful about terminating an employee that is not following company policy.