By mysea8679 - 12/06/2013 22:09 - United Kingdom - Newcastle Upon Tyne

Today, whilst trying on wedding dresses with my mom, she told me that I looked fat and awful in the dress I liked. When I told her how hurtful she was being, she told me that I should be grateful that she told me what she thought instead of laughing at me behind my back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 454
You deserved it 7 479

Same thing different taste

Top comments

shadowedpixie 19

Better now than at the wedding.

RpiesSPIES 27

Honesty is the best policy. She could've been nicer about it, but you can still try on plenty more dresses to find the one you LOVE instead of the one you LIKE ;)

Comments

Even though she was just trying to be honest, she could've said it in a nicer way so she wouldn't have hurt your feelings. Sorry OP :( I know you'll look beautiful on your wedding day :)

I assume that you actually invited your mom and asked for her opinion? Don't do that unless you want to hear her honest opinion. Yeah, there are different ways to answer honestly, but you if you asked for her opinion you deserve her opinion. It would have been differently if she made her opinion known uninvited.

She is just being honest. I would rather have someone be straight up with me. However its your choice you get that dress regardless of what your mother thinks. Its only her opinion and other people may actually like that dress on you. If your mother decides to act out during your wedding after choosing said dress in the end, have her escorted and not allowed to come back on to the location you're getting married at.

There's a huge difference between 'you look fat and awful in that dress' and 'I don't think it really suits you, it's not a flattering cut on you etc.' You don't have to be insulting to be honest.

bingbongbingbong 11

Erm.. At least she's being honest.. Fyl.. >.

My mom pulls that same shit on me everyday no matter what I wear.

Lady_Vampy 2

Go to I DO bridal in Hebburn and don't take your mother. I had the most amazing time there trying on wedding dresses and eventually bought one from there.

Same thing happened to me :(. Not just at that time its always non stop. I can understand how you feel. But ignore them your husband loves you and thats all that matters.