You tried at least

By oreosaretoocool - 05/12/2016 19:10 - United Kingdom - Cardenden

Today, I finally gave my mum an expensive designer dress I spent months saving to buy for her as she had been very depressed. However she has gained so much weight from stress eating she ripped it when trying to put it on, and now won't talk to me because, "I wanted to make her feel fat". FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 657
You deserved it 1 139

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's pretty difficult to reason with people who are seriously depressed. Try not to take to too personally.

RedCronos 17

That honestly sucks. It was very thoughtful to get her a present like that though. Depression can be very difficult to deal with so hang in there. She needs you more than she may think.

Comments

It's pretty difficult to reason with people who are seriously depressed. Try not to take to too personally.

RedCronos 17

That honestly sucks. It was very thoughtful to get her a present like that though. Depression can be very difficult to deal with so hang in there. She needs you more than she may think.

Don't take it too seriously OP! Just Give it time, hopefully she'll start feeling better soon..

Take her on a trip somewhere, usually vacation helps with depression, and just be there for her and support her through it, cuz it's time like this when she needs you the most.

actually, psychotherapy helps with depression. Maybe in combination with medication

Come on, guys. They said it'll HELP with depression, not CURE it.

Maybe next time save up and then take her on a shopping trip to buy a dress where she can try in on and get the right size. Sorry it happened, though. I'm sure you meant well.

If all you'd wanted was to make her feel fat, you could have done that for free. I hope she realises soon that it wasn't your intention.

This is when gift cards are FTW. This would make mom drag her fat ass to the store and select a sausage casing to contain her flesh. But you'd be the good kid!

Why is this getting thumbed down? Everybody loves gift cards!

You got thumbed down because you were being unnecessarily rude to the mother.

Sometimes you can be a real dick, Mr. Pencil. Just because you're skinny as **** doesn't mean you get to make fun of others over their weight. But yeah, gift cards are awesome.

Not everyone likes gift cards either. I personally find them pretty thoughtless and it shows the person put zero thought into it. You're basically making someone get their own present. If it's someone you're not particularly close to, it's fine. But with someone close you're basically saying you didn't care enough to really put any thought into it or them. I suppose if it's for a place or something someone really likes it's a bit different, but still. Just my opinion though, some people like getting gift cards or money. Also, that was just unnecessarily mean and cruel towards the mother. Nobody needs that. It's not "funny" or a "joke".

Never buy a woman clothes - There is no winning on selecting a size. If it fits or is too large they may be hurt because they think you think they are fat. If it's too small they have to return it or worse as in this case. Jewelry almost always fits, gift certificates are always the right size and the recipient gets the enjoyment of picking out what they like.

tantanpanda 26

^not really. Lots of times, different styles of dresses or outfits are worn in different sizes. Sis can be a small in one outfit and xs in a different one. Even then, the family member might not like the outfit that much. Really is a lose lose situation unless they tell you their specific size or it was on their wish list or something.

1. I am a female 2. I have bought other women clothes. Don't try to tell me I'm wrong saying it depends on the woman, and it was heavily toward the "no matter what they'll think they'll fat". If I'm close to someone enough to buy them outfits, I'm going to know they're styles and what will fit otherwise I will ask measurements.

if her depression is that severe, she probably needs to see a doctor. as much as you want to help, clinical depression doesn't just go away when you try to cheer someone up.