By mysea8679 - 12/06/2013 22:09 - United Kingdom - Newcastle Upon Tyne

Today, whilst trying on wedding dresses with my mom, she told me that I looked fat and awful in the dress I liked. When I told her how hurtful she was being, she told me that I should be grateful that she told me what she thought instead of laughing at me behind my back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 454
You deserved it 7 479

Same thing different taste

Top comments

shadowedpixie 19

Better now than at the wedding.

RpiesSPIES 27

Honesty is the best policy. She could've been nicer about it, but you can still try on plenty more dresses to find the one you LOVE instead of the one you LIKE ;)

Comments

She has a point, but there she could have sugarcoated it.... I say that as someone who rarely sugarcoats things, wedding dress shopping would be an exception since all that should matter is weather or not the bride loves it.

Alastrina_fml 20

Honesty is one thing, but if that's a regular occurrence, she needs to learn some tact.

HighasaCloud 46

To each their own, I guess. Personally, I would much rather have someone tell me blunt truths than carefully crafted lies

What a bitch. I would never say anything like that to my daughter. Its your wedding, you should be confident and happy. Its not your mom's dress, its yours, don't let her break your spirit.

amy6703 6

Sorry your mom is so insensitive. I can't imagine how much worse her big mouth will be at your reception when the wine starts flowing.

Being honest is best in the right situation. If the dress truly looks absolutely awful, then I hope someone would speak up. If the dress was okay, maybe not the prefect style for you but you loved it? Then they should be happy for you, the most important thing is that you feel your best. They could still say something nice like, "Well, it's alright but I like that other dress the best for you" - it gives their opinion without making you feel bad.

Would you prefer she say it to your face, or behind your back?