By Winx - 16/03/2012 07:13 - United States

Today, my dad informed me that my prom dress makes me look chubby from the side, gives me "back fat", and that I wouldn't want to go to prom looking like that. I tried to ignore his hurtful comments and tell myself I was beautiful. Then the clasp broke. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 324
You deserved it 11 702

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe you should listen to your father's advice for a change instead of categorically ignoring him just because it makes you feel better. He could've just said "DAAAAAMN!" But it sounds more like he was trying to be helpful rather than hurtful.

Idonebeenhad 17

Girl: Does this dress make me look fat? Guy: Uhh no it's fine. Girl: STOP LYING TO ME Guy: Okay, a little Girl: WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT, OH MY GOD I'M NEVER GONNA TALK TO YOU AGAIN

Comments

Maybe you should listen to your father's advice for a change instead of categorically ignoring him just because it makes you feel better. He could've just said "DAAAAAMN!" But it sounds more like he was trying to be helpful rather than hurtful.

blackheart24 10

Men can't handle women's sensitivity. It's all a vicious circle.

Idonebeenhad 17

Girl: Does this dress make me look fat? Guy: Uhh no it's fine. Girl: STOP LYING TO ME Guy: Okay, a little Girl: WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT, OH MY GOD I'M NEVER GONNA TALK TO YOU AGAIN

TheDrifter 23

And to think, if vanity hadn't prevailed and op had bought the correct size to start with, this could all have been avoided. A well cut dress can hide a Lot of flaws.

17 there is always a good way to satisfy the girl. The guy could've said "no it doesn't but I don't think this dress is good enough to be on you. " i don't know you could say something that wouldn't make the girl feel fat.

ThisIsMyReign 4

41 - Then, girls need to stop asking if a article of clothing makes them look fat.

At that moment I would have lost it and quietly stepped out. Came back in after calming down and helped you get another dress.

rillastyle 1

Correct answer is: The dress can't be held responsible your fat ass makes you look fat

Most girls are satisfied by money. But I'll take an Xbox or a PS3. . .

Spot on, Doc. Where the hell do people get the idea it's okay to ignore things they don't want to hear? OP, if your dad didn't care about you, he could've just nodded and you might've been at prom when the dress fell apart. While it may have seemed initially hurtful, it was constructive criticism designed to help you improve. Take your dad with you and go shopping for a dress that makes you look and feel beautiful without false platitudes.

People should just stop obsessing over their weight and think about their health instead. Surely you have appealing attributes other than looks to attract someone. What does it matter if you're a little bigger or smaller if you're healthy? The worst that could happen if you wear a slightly bigger size is some immature person won't be able to keep their mouth shut, no one's going to pull the size tag out of your clothes or wrap measuring tape around you. If you look good, you look good; no one will care if you're scaled up or down a little.

Squeaky_Tomato 14

I dont agree. I want my friends and family to be honest. If I ask if I look bad/fat in something then I'd rather have the truth then look like a whale.

9 - Females' sensitivity don't affect males. Your theory is invalid.

Ayyyee! I was dead! Too funny. #pathetic

Lmao for some people its not a little, its ALOT.

I'm a girl, and 17 knows exactly WTF happens. Girls are batsh*t crazy. Fact.

17, this comment totally reminded me of my sister. Haha

Your father sure went to great lengths to ensure his point. I mean developing telekinesis only to break your clasp is a stretch. Oh well, don't feel bad because you're beautiful on the inside**but don't take it from me, take it from your local heart surgeon**.

Daffodilly 14

I'm sure you're a beautiful person, OP. But either the dress was too small, in which case you just need a bigger size, or you need to lose some weight. I know it's not nice to hear, and I'm all for self-esteem, but pretending you aren't overweight if you are, that you just have "curves" is not doing your beauty or health any favours.

Truth hurts! Or in this case rips a dress.

gloopyone 4

No, it really does hurt. Ever try to unzip a dress too small? I still have a bruise.

ifoundalaska 11

You just need to get a bigger size, you'll look better in something that fits you properly anyway. It doesn't mean your fat.

TheDrifter 23

Precisely, cramming into something 2 sizes too small rather than admitting what size you wear not only makes you look worse, it creates flaws you wouldn't normally have. Ie. back fat or the infamous muffin top.

MissHayleyJames 7

It could be too that designers of all clothes decided for their own lines what a size actually is. You can wear a 4 with one designer but an 8 with another. Prom/wedding dresses are the worst and they all typically run at least a size or two too small. When I got my prom dress back in high school, my normal clothes were all 10-12, but the dress was a 16 because of how it was sized. Wedding dress shopping was the same way. All designers of all clothes just need to use the same measurements for each size!

Country29 16

Dude me two!! It ticked me off because My jeans are a 9 usually then my dress was a 16! But that's what happens. OP don't worry about it I got a size up because it not my boobs would be at my chin and I'd have muffin tops, which every girl has problems with depending on the cut and body type

Well at least u didn't walk out the door to prom or did u?

IamSharkWeek 0

buy a bigger dress next time

Well thats not nice :c you just got te wrong size. I'm 100% sure you look absolutely beautiful in it(:

No one will look beautiful in it, now. The clasp BROKE.

It's totally fake comments like this one that makes me barf in my mouth. I realize that her father's words were hurtful and that nobody should be verbally abused in anyway by their parents but you have no idea what she looked like in that dress and she probably would have looked better in a dress her size.

Being told that a dress is not flattering is not being verbally abused. If her father had called her a fat, ugly pig it would've been closer to abuse. I thought her dad's comments were honest and meant to be helpful. I think it's the nicest thing someone can do: encourage you to be your best.

11-Since when did an emoticon with a bullring become an emoticon? And which one in the picture is the guy and which one is the girl?

leogirl95 12

Get a bigger size, and have it tailored to fit your every curve :)

b0ngs 7

That was rude of him; he could've just said that it looked too tight.