By eslteacher - 13/05/2009 04:39 - Korea Republic of

Today, while teaching English in Korea, my boss gave me a birthday present from her and all of my co-workers. It was a really fancy box. It had very nice wrapping. It had a pretty bow. It was kind of heavy. It was 6 bottles of dandruff shampoo. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 915
You deserved it 8 578

Same thing different taste

Top comments

simplyabsurd 0

Hmmm. Next time you get a chance, sprinkle some fake snow into their lunch and onto your shoulder and meander around the break room. I'd pay to see the reaction.

because they tried to have dandruff. totally. idiot

Comments

4bbaf9d3caaa8f84 20

To everyone that says that they [Koreans] were being rude: You should research their culture before making that kind of assumption. Like #36 said, Koreans, like most Asians, like to give something practical rather than frivolous which I think makes a lot more sense especially considering the economy right now.

jAmbre 0

You're co-workers need sensitivity training. Now.

simplyabsurd 0

Well, after reading all these comments referencing Korean customs (that I was obviously unaware of), I would like to change my original stance. Assuming that Koreans do give simple, practical gifts to people as tokens of admiration, then I would be overjoyed. Not just one but six whole bottles? Wow. You'll never need to find another date! At least in Korea. Here? Not so lucky. PS: If you're teaching English to Koreans, wouldn't it be common sense to know some of the local customs? I wouldn't go to another country without doing thorough research on their customs, if only not to get murdered for putting my fork to the right or some such bs. It's only polite.

cyxx 0

Yup, 53 has it right. I honestly doubt it was intentionally rude. And sensitivity training? I'm sorry 54, how would YOU have dealt with the situation? If the guy really has dandruff, I think that's one of the most subtle ways of handling it. Asian culture is very non-confrontational.

Peanu_theGreat 0

you should probably shower more often.

humorous way of pointing out your dandruff issue. meh just laugh it off.