By juice723 - 02/02/2014 02:07 - United States - Brooklyn

Today, my mom announced to everyone that she wants at least ten grandchildren. I'm an only child. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 206
You deserved it 3 899

juice723 tells us more.

So yeah I've seen some comments asking for a follow up... I'm a girl. my mom has always said that her greatest regret was not having more children herself, but she's, you know, going through menopause... So I think wanting a lot of grandchildren is her way of making up for that. She has also clarified that she will be happy with four grandchildren, which is what I want to have. It was just wishful thinking that she could have that many grandchildren to help raise. Sorry if this long comment is confusing, but I hope it helps to clear things up!

Top comments

well, if she wants lots of grandchildren, then she should have had more children herself!

Comments

how luky u r. i cannot have one more kid because of one-child policy in china

Perhaps she's taking into account great grandchildren into that equation?

So yeah I've seen some comments asking for a follow up... I'm a girl. my mom has always said that her greatest regret was not having more children herself, but she's, you know, going through menopause... So I think wanting a lot of grandchildren is her way of making up for that. She has also clarified that she will be happy with four grandchildren, which is what I want to have. It was just wishful thinking that she could have that many grandchildren to help raise. Sorry if this long comment is confusing, but I hope it helps to clear things up!

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that my mom was one of seven children... I think in a way she is a little envious of her mother (my grandmother) because she has a lot of grandchildren

WTH is your mom complaining about?! Four is plenty! In fact, it's four too many for me, so you have my deepest admiration for wanting to go through pregnancy, babyhood, toddlerhood, early childhood, and the teenage years four times! And just how long did your mom have between having you and going through menopause? I still think she had time to do things differently if she really wanted more kids around.

it's really subjective. I know that at best I'd only want a single child (never thought about grandchildren), and I think it's crazy you want four, but hey, go you! I could start blabbering about overpopulation but your life choices are yours and yours alone. It's nice that your plans overlap with your mom's in the end :) #80: most of these would be at the same time, so it's not really that different

damnit1989 16

Well, as a comment said above, those four could end up contributing to the final 10 number. Great grandchildren are still grand children. And they will get married someday (I would think anyway, but maybe not) so there's some in law type of grandchildren. Makes eight already! Then out of those, two are born, and she has all ten!

buttcramp 21

well, it's your life and your body, op! do what makes YOU happy!

Do not have four kids. We have a population problem and its better to raise two kids well then four half-assed

Don't tell her what to do 133, and I'm in a family with 4 kids and I guarantee that myself nor my siblings were raised "half-assed".

OP it doesn't matter either way. Your mom wanting grandchildren is completely understandable, but you having children is your own personal choice. Whether you have none or twelve is your call. Your call and your husband's call that is. The two people that will be the actual parents make that choice. Nobody else (except God if you believe in Him). Point is though, your mom has no right to give you some quota for such a thing. Just have the amount of kids that you will be happy with.

Yeah I agree 134. Now I do think it's ridiculous nowadays when people have like 10-12 kids or something, but four is fine. I was also in a family of four, and yeah I don't think any of us were half-ass raised. If you half-ass raise your children that is not the fault of the number of kids you had. That is the fault of you simply not being a good parent. That's all there is to it.

Quiet_one 22

Dang... I'm one of 5 children, and after living in the chaos that causes I know I couldn't handle having that many. Don't get me wrong, I loved my childhood, but even 3 children is a lot. If I ever have kids I plan to stop at 2. My parents are already dropping the grandchildren hints, even though 3 of their children are still too young to be out of the house yet. That got old the first time it happened. Parents: don't do this to your kids. Don't.

I'm one of two, and we were half ass raised by my parents. my grandmother did the majority of the work until we were teenagers. the number of kids someone has means nothing.

Exactly 156. If someone is a bad parent they're a bad parent. Having more or less children doesn't change that.

Atleast she's happy with you having four babies now x

SuperMew 22

My mom told me she wants eight grand kids, so my sister and I could split them up between us all. I told her that it was not happening because I don't intend on having any kids. She cried for an hour.

Just because she wants 4 children doesn't mean they will be "half-ass". Some people raise one that is a total ass.

MikaykayUnicorn 36

I'm going to get thumbed down for this, but oh well. I'm from Utah, and I find people saying four kids is too many hilarious. Here's what I say: OP sounds like she'll be a good mother. She has a plan for her family, and it seems to me that those four kids will be a big priority in her life. They won't waste space; they'll (hopefully) be good people that this world desperately needs. Plus, it's her choice.

I'm from a family of 3. I think 4 is a good number. Just not 5. 5 is a little yikes.

178, wow, really? My mom knows my brother isn't planning on even marrying, I'm scared of little kids, and my sister isn't sure (she probably will have at least 1 kid), but she's cool. She says she wanted to have children, not us. I mean, I might adopt in the future.

Honestly #133 if I could downvote your comment more than once, I would. Who the actual hell are you to basically say "You're gonna do a shit job at raising 4 children." It's very insulting to OP. If she wants 4 children then she will have 4 children. If she wants 100, she will have 100. It's legitimately none of your business.

why not adopt? I mean your mom if she wanted more children. that's her fault for not considering it. they are just as much as part of the family as one born in. there are so many children in need of homes. if she did try then good on her. but if she didn't then for shame. my grandma had 10 kids. my mom only had two. she always wanted a 3rd and teases me about getting pregnant and having a baby for her. I think they miss the big family and that's why they want to create their own.

No 133, you are the one that shouldn't have any kids, especially if they'd be like you. So hop off. Op can have as many kids as she wants. I come from a family of 4 myself. It's wonderful. I would've been happier with another one though.^_^

Well it's good that she respects your decision to have four kids:)

133 might have been harsh on saying you can't raise four kids properly, but he wasn't wrong about having a population issue. People used to have a lot of babies way back when because most weren't expected to live. Modern day we don't have to worry about that nearly as much. People having too many kids are a problem. I'm not saying 4 is too many, but 10? That's a little much. How long before we have to create a population control law like China has?

Careful what you wish for, you still gotta feed them and have time for each and every single one. But the upside is the cloth gets more value.

My neighbor has one child and he tries to sell drugs to little kids in the neighborhood. My mom and dad had three and we are all in various stages of school(middle school, highschool, and college) bettering ourselves. How is less better again?

I'm one of four and it's great! My sister and eldest brother are half-siblings and way older than me though (which means I get a sister who knows more about make up and the like, who is happy to go on and on about it with me because we don't live together!) Having another older brother to years older than me can be a bit rubbish, but hey ho. And I can see why you might be an only child when your mother wanted lots of kids; my mum probably had her menopause when I was about 5, I dunno.

@133 me personally, I don't want more than 2, and I already have 1. though I am the oldest of a family of 7 and all of us were raised well and had whatever we needed. Its not the number of children you have, its how much effort the parents actually want to put into being a parent.

Tell her it is up to you and you only if you want 10 kids of 2 kids.

DenBriZel 31

Looks like you got some work to do!

how does she expect you to have 10 if she only had one??!

Momma doesn't always get what she wants.

Why? So you can lose your damn mind? Kids are exhausting. I live in a zoo because of my siblings.