By juice723 - 02/02/2014 02:07 - United States - Brooklyn

Today, my mom announced to everyone that she wants at least ten grandchildren. I'm an only child. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 206
You deserved it 3 899

juice723 tells us more.

So yeah I've seen some comments asking for a follow up... I'm a girl. my mom has always said that her greatest regret was not having more children herself, but she's, you know, going through menopause... So I think wanting a lot of grandchildren is her way of making up for that. She has also clarified that she will be happy with four grandchildren, which is what I want to have. It was just wishful thinking that she could have that many grandchildren to help raise. Sorry if this long comment is confusing, but I hope it helps to clear things up!

Top comments

well, if she wants lots of grandchildren, then she should have had more children herself!

Comments

Hope she's willing to help pay for all of them if she's going to demand like that. Even having ONE child in these days is a hassle!

Well, want in one hand, and shit in the other...

star14394 20

Mormons don't necessarily like lots of kids, they just can't use contraception methods of anykind. With condoms and birth control out of the question that means that if they like sex they'd better like kids too.

I think you're getting Mormons mixed up with Catholics, #46....

damnit1989 16

Not necessarily. My mom was in a catholic family, and she is youngest of 7 (was almost eight, but one passed away young). and no, they are not big fans of contraception. I have also an aunt on my dad's side that married into Mormonism. Per religious reasons, she was not allowed to use birth control, and she had to agree every time her husband wanted sex. This resulted in at least 5+ kids. Catholics are using birth control these days anyway.

Don't know why people so heavily marked my comment down. There has been a lot of publicity in recent years about how the Pope and Catholicism doesn't allow contraceptives / birth control. Mormonism on the other hand doesn't have an issue with it, so I'm not sure what is going on with the people you know. Speaking from first-hand experience, as a member of the LDS church (aka Mormons, but "Latter-Day Saint" is the preferred term).

Kuro_Kamen 12

@57 can't really get them confused considering both are generally associated with large families.

At least everybody now knows your mom has unrealistisc expectations. Also, if someone is so desperate for grandchildren, they should have more kids themselves. My mother-in-law wants to be a granny, but she only has one son. Who's about to marry someone with no childwish whatsoever.

damnit1989 16

#16, F her life. I would be sad if I wanted grand kids and knew I'd never get any. Poor lady :-(

88 my mil wasn't too thrilled at first either. But I can't have kids. Feeling broken was bad enough. The guilt of disappointing made it depressing. And she wasn't trying to make me feel bad.

#88, sometimes peoples miss change. When I was 23, I didn't ever want to have kids. By 30 I had already had one and wanted more.

You could always adopt kids who need a home, its a win, win situation

Ihavegas 22

definitely adopt plenty of children in need of good parents.

Not really, she'd still have to raise them.

damnit1989 16

Foster care is a good option too.

It wasn't that uncommon back when she was younger to have many kids.

That doesn't mean it's common, or even realistic, nowadays to have that many kids. In fact, it's pretty ridiculous.

So why did she have only one? Barring any medical reason, she's pretty inconsiderate.

She might be trying compensate for only having one, but either way, OP shouldn't have more than four.

Looks like you got a lot of work to do, though if you're a girl, my condolenses.

seprunner 12

Make a deal with her, she changes diapers, pays for college, and half the food and its a deal!