By Anonymous - 17/01/2015 19:00 - United States - Bowler

Today, my girlfriend asked me not to love her so much, so she doesn't have to try so hard to match my love for her. What the fuck? FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 342
You deserved it 9 288

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That may be a valid reason to end the relationship. You don't want a relationship where the love isn't mutual.

Maybe you're pushing too hard, and you're at the early stages of the relationship, and she's not ready to return those feelings? Maybe she just couldn't word it correctly. I wouldn't say break up with her. I'd say try to discuss it, and see where the issues lie, and if there really isn't any hope of your love being mutual, then that would be the time to end it and move on.

Comments

Hesher 19

Every commenter who doesn't understand what she could mean by saying that has never had a clingy significant other. As someone who has been in her spot, lay off a little bit, OP. Not everyone is into constant attention. She may not be the same as me, but I've said the same exact thing in relationships I've had, and that's what I've meant.

Dump her, and why does this have more YDI than FYL? Oh right, when it comes to relationship troubles, who`s to blame? The man...

I think what she means is to scale back your outward expression of your love for her. That is something that I occasionally ask my boyfriend to do. In the beginning of our relationship, his dedication to me seemed borderline obsession and it really freaked me out. Needless to say we had a serious discussion about why he did all of that, and about what behavior is appropriate- especially in front of family or friends. I recommend having a similar conversation in which you can both explain your feelings and perspectives BEFORE deciding whether to continue or discontinue the relationship.

squarecircles 13

Sorry, OP, that's not a good sign. But at least now you know where not to waste the love you have to give so you can save it for someone more deserving.

Has no one heard of aromantics or, god forbid, people who struggle to love due to trust issues? If a man said he was struggling to love, it'd be normal, but since it's a woman she's suddenly not worth the effort? Honestly, some people have different capacities for love and if someone experiences love a lot more deeply than their partner, it can make a partner feel awkward and guilty. That doesn't mean they don't love them, it means they experience and express love differently. This isn't counting in for time, some people takes a very long time to come to term with something like love.

I've never thought of affection as an arms race... Sounds like the Cold Love.