By noway - 03/01/2014 11:03 - France - Cholet

Today, my French wife chose the name of our unborn baby girl. She wants to call her Fanny and won't change her mind. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 914
You deserved it 5 302

Same thing different taste

Top comments

blackman100 20

Make sure her middle name is Pack.

For the sake of your child I hope you change her mind

Comments

its not abnormal to name a girl Fanny. my cousin's cousin is name Fanny

Because you actually live in France, it probably won't even matter that much. Though if I were you, I'd try to get her to understand, that it could end with your daughter getting bullied.

would it be that difficult to say "hey honey to me fanny means butt (if your american) / ****** (if your british) do you really want me to have to call my child butt/******?" I'm sure she'll see your point. On the other hand people are still called Fanny and Dick so it's not that big a deal but it's your child too so I think it's only fair you can both veto names that you think are awful.

its funny cause it took me a while figure out what the FML was ( im from Quebec so....) here Fanny is only a girls name, without other meaning, hope my friend Fanny wont have trouble in the US xD

skittyskatbrat 19

She will...sorry. It hasn't been a common US name for most of a century. In fact, even in England, Queen had a song about "Big Fat Fanny".....

Not exactly I knew someone called Francis and all her friends called her Fanny.

Hah! You're so funny. Surely that "move to France" had to be a joke, given that the OP already lives in France. I mean, no one would be so dumb to not check that before commenting, right?

vencku 13

#77 Of course not. Just as no one would be so dumb not to know that the mobile version of FML does not show name, location or gender of the OP and that many people view this website from - guess what - their mobile!

Still pretty dumb if they can't see the link to go to the classic version, right on top. You can see all kinds of stuff there... even if you're on your mobile! Who would have thought?!

Some parents don't think of how important a good name is for a child, eventually that kid will be a grown man or woman.

What's wrong with this name ? Please explain me, I'm French and it's the one of the two first names of my sister :P

skittyskatbrat 19

It's slang for a big fat butt. He might as well call her Grande Derriere. Same thing. And hey, that sounds pretty in English...but I would never call a kid that!

Ok thanks I didn't know, I guess I don't learn enough slang english in school :D

drfifi 12

Well it depends what country your in but in most english speaking countries it's slang for ****** (in america it's slang for but or something)

furry_jessaline 3

Haha FYL hope she doesn't get made fun of!

skittyskatbrat 19

Ask her what she wants as a nickname: Butt, Wide Load, FatAss, or just plain Ass. :P

OP, explain that it means ass in the US and ****** in Australia and the UK and then ask her if she wants her child to be able to travel one day without being ridiculed. Hopefully her maternal instinct will prevent her from inflicting future torment on her kid.