By futuremum - 22/03/2012 17:14 - United Kingdom - Bristol

Today, I had to yet again tell my mother-in-law that I wasn't going to name my unborn baby "Ermintrude" after her late mother. My husband told me to stop being difficult, and that he agrees that it would be nice. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 364
You deserved it 2 576

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ermintrude is a name that you joke like ethelburga not one you name a child, they would be teased.

Comments

Ermintrude is a name that you joke like ethelburga not one you name a child, they would be teased.

beastseclipse 9

Agreed, it's not in the child's best interest and they need to think of the baby rather than something that would seem "cute" to them.

What do you mean? Ermintrude Ethelburga Zwyczynski is a beautiful name.

It is, but you really need to have that "Zwyczynski" at the end. It doesn't work if your family name is "Smith". :-)

X_Codes 11

Sounds like something you'd hear at a spelling bee. "The word is Ermintrude." "Uh... what's the root?" "Do I look like I know?"

aaahhhfire21 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Erminetrude? What the fuxk kinda name is that????

hurtandabused 7

My sister is pregnant n is having the same thing happen. She's going to do it. Thank u for being someone that respects what a name should be.

I've read a lot I comments now and I've bought ermintrude so many times it now seems a nice name. Someone please kill me before I have any children.

Omgg :O i wud die.. Maybe u shud tell ur mother in law and hub that ur the one suffering and the one to give birth... The least u shud be able to do is give the poor thing a nice name :P

#53 - First of all, learn to spell Ermintrude. Second, learn to spell ****. And to respond to your question, Ermintrude is a nice name. I don't see anything wrong with it, other than the fact that people can make fun of the name by saying vermintrude.

Maddidaddi 0

That is a terrible name. You need a new husband if he doesn't understand your wishes.

I know I'm going to get thumbed down... But it is better than naming your baby "Bella" from Twilight...

There's nothing wrong with the name 'Bella.' It's been around *centuries* before Twishite. 'Renesmee,' on the other hand...

She's gunn push it out her ******, she can choose the name. End of story.

nightowl713 25

Maybe as a middle name...it is kind of special to their family, and that way she wouldn't have to go by that name...

Ermintrude is such a ridiculous name imo. I laughed.

trueblue170 13

It's such a shame - I've always liked the name 'Bella', and WAS thinking of it being a name for a future child before Twishite came out. Now that's all people associate it with. :(

63, they spelt **** like that so it wasn't the full swear word. also, yes, some people may (somehow) find Ermintrude a nice name but op clearly doesn't so she shouldn't feel obliged to call her child that! The child will get bullied, some names are meant to stay buried! I hope she names it something decent!

Calling your daughter Ermintrude is tantamount to child abuse! However if you've ever heard the song by the late Johnny Cash called 'a Man called Sue' it ***might*** be the making of her but I doubt it.

65- I can immediately think of a few things kids would call her. A name like that will shape your childhood.

64- may bee u shud lurn tu spelle bettar plzzzzzzzz

By the looks of the thumbs I think not. Plus, people either hate twilight like me. YEAH I SAID IT TWILIGHT SUX! Or, they realize every time some actress or singer gets über popular everyone goes and names their daughter that thinking that they're being "creative/original". ( examples: Britney, Ashely, & Emma)

197--my name *is* Bella. And I hate Twilight more than I hate the anti-abortion psychos who wave around photos of dead fetuses in my face when I'm trying to walk to class. It sucks. Ass.

#202 it's "Boy Named Sue", but yes that was a classic. Didn't he perform it from prison?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

49 - be that as it may, naming a child "Ermintrude" is ******* unacceptable, the child would be bullied for his/her whole life.

And I thought Natalie was bad (thanks ma...)

Natalie isn't a bad name #100 I don't why you think that. Op yeah don't name your kid that unfortunately the kid will be bullied.

Don't name your child that OP, she will not have a good life.

That's like calling your child Bonquisha'sharice.

K_kanaka 26

So am I the only that looked up the meaning of the name? Yes okay here some info on it. Ermintrude Variant form: Trudy Origin: German, also known to be used in French Possible Meanings: 1) All loved 2) Universal strength Now people stop criticizing a name especially if you don't know the meaning behind it. Just cause it sounds stupid at first doesn't mean it is a stupid name. There is always a strong meaning behind names so never criticize them. Now I'm not saying for OP to give the kid the name because that's her choice but it would be nice to consider that her mother-in-law is asking her to name the child after her late mother which means it's a really special request.

177 - you have a valid point. However, judging by the wording of the FML, it seems like the mother-in-law has crossed the line from making a "special request" to being overbearing, pushy, and disrespectful. She wasn't wrong to request once (especially if the name has some family significance), but should have dropped the matter after being told no.

While it may have a nice meaning and be important for the mother in law, I would say pretty much 100% of people would never know the meaning behind it and all they see is what is quite honestly a pretty bad name for a kid these days.

I don't know anyone who's named their kid crackflaps!! If people did name their kid that then they are idiots!!

I think you're exaggerating. There are only a few Crackaflaps that I know personally.

Quite an interesting name in my opinion, to say the least.

It's the name of the cow from the Magic Roundabout. Nothing against The Magic Roundabout, but you should go for something badass like Æthelflæd. Y'know, Lady of the Mercians, formidible military and political leader of Mercia in the 10th Century...

Or Xavier, actually that was my snails name, he died

Interesting, but I prefer zebadee if we're going magic roundabout... Just saying.

You could shorten it to Trudy in casual situations, which isn't so bad.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. <3 The Magic Roundabout.

kjb1234 5

72- That is an awesome name

My moms foster babie name is Xavier... If I ever had a baby boy his name was gonna be Xavier

That would have been my suggestion too !! Trudie is more "now" but scores brownie points for calling child "sort of" after the late grannie

tylersign 11

Your husband has a great sense of humor. Wait, what? He was serious? ...

Since you're the one giving birth you should get at least a little more say in the name.

HairyPunisher 27

I disagree. I think men involved in their pregnant wife/girlfriend/fiancee's (etc.) life should have a right to helping with the name. It's not like she has a baby daddy who's not around. But I wholeheartedly agree the name OP's monster-in-law wants is repulsive.

porcupineattack1 5

Holy shit i love ur pro pic

I agree, but if OP does happen to give in she can always pick an awesome middle name. Some people go by their middle name anyway.

Some people just don't understand how viciously their child will be teased/bullied because of a poor name choice... it makes me sad :(

Michele2luv 8

Named my daughter Vanessa Michele, of course this was after growing up with the name Shaquan Naheema =

"is Oliver Klosoff here?" *class chuckles*

AdamBasebal69 0

My name is Pat M. Heiney and my bros name is Hugh G. Rection.

Call the baby Eminem instead! That's almost the same!

Jumber, do you really have to put your over-analyzed two cents into everything?

bizarre_ftw 21

Lol XD and act like you completely believe it's just as good, just to troll the mother-in-law

OP, i had to name my newborn daughter Sacageweanisha - get over it.

#14: Someone held a gun to your head on that one? Cause that's pretty much the only way I could see that name getting by. Family should have input, not be the deciding factor in choosing a name. If you named your kid that, against your will, because family said so, you have no spine and deserved what you got.

petlover7598 7

#20 - They deserved it, but not their child. I hope the child does not have to go through too much because of the parents mistakes.

What...the ****? Sascajawinimon? It's gonna be hard getting restaurant reservations. "table for four? Sure! name?" "s-a-c....*15 min later...o..."

niswisk 3

The poor kid doesnt deserve it thou :(

so that's pronounced how exactly? sack-a-ja-wee-ah-nee-sha...