By ChildhoodTerror - 26/12/2016 06:40

Today, my cousin left her undisciplined demon-child at my house for Christmas. This child destroyed the other children's gifts and made so much noise that the neighbors called the police. The adults can't really discipline her while her mother is away, so all we can do is apologize in this child's wake. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 682
You deserved it 1 553

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If the child is left in your care you certainly can discipline the child. That's not to say to smack the child or anything, but you certainly can do what you need to pull the kid into line. You're there to supervise and keep the child safe and others safe from the child, not make friends and apologise for the child.

I refuse to watch children that Im not allowed to discipline, Period. Family or not, if the kid knows they can get away with it, they will.

Comments

Unless you've never dealt with the kid before, YDI for even agreeing to watch him.

timeout timeout timeout timeout you should have taken advantage of the police presence and have them threaten to haul him away in cuffs

Or maybe just handcuff her yourself? A $5 pair of novelty cuffs would be strong enough, and MIGHT get the impression across.

She left the kid in your care, do what you need to. I get that it's awkward but you were left in charge.

Oh man I would've beat that ass till it was as red as Rudolph's nose

devans00 14

Why do the FMLs that need a "you deserve it" the most have the lame "it could've happened to me"? Very annoying. Never take responsibility for a misbehaving, no listening child. They could hurt you and cause a lot of damage. Why agree to that?

Discipline doesn't necessarily mean spanking. You can do other things to get the point across - remove privileges, early bedtime, timeout, no desserts/gifts, housework/chores, etc. Since you're looking after this child, it's up to you to prevent them from causing damage.

I hear about this kind of this so often- that kids won't listen to anyone buy their parents (and even then not much). When I was a kid, if I disobeyed whoever was supposed to be minding me I'd be punished: spanking, lectures, some privileges taken away. Now it seems most people just shrug and think "nothing we can do, kid won't listen" No, REPRIMAND them ffs. Lax parenting creates demon children, and demon children grow up to be demon adults.

Screw that, any child left in my house under my care, is subjected to my rules, relative or not. end of story. With that being said, if the kid is tear adding through the house and ripping up presents, then a suitable punishment needs to be doled out.

smartjaguargurl 17

Sorry but why can't you discipline them? They left the kid at your house so you have to power to discipline them.