By ChildhoodTerror - 26/12/2016 06:40

Today, my cousin left her undisciplined demon-child at my house for Christmas. This child destroyed the other children's gifts and made so much noise that the neighbors called the police. The adults can't really discipline her while her mother is away, so all we can do is apologize in this child's wake. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 682
You deserved it 1 553

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If the child is left in your care you certainly can discipline the child. That's not to say to smack the child or anything, but you certainly can do what you need to pull the kid into line. You're there to supervise and keep the child safe and others safe from the child, not make friends and apologise for the child.

I refuse to watch children that Im not allowed to discipline, Period. Family or not, if the kid knows they can get away with it, they will.

Comments

Woah woah woah.. If YOU are taking care of the child and in charge while her mom is absent then there is no reason why you can't discipline her. There are plenty of ways to discipline a child that are reasonable - and if mom is gone then obviously it's up to whomever is watching her to curb her destructive and bad behavior! If your only reason is that her mom doesn't approve who cares? The worst that can happen is that she won't let you watch the child anymore, and that sounds like it would be a good thing.

You knew what the kid was like and you let your cousin leave her there. YDI, but all the other kids didn't deserve to have their presents wrecked. Next time, just say no.

You're not a random babysitter. You're family! Therefore not only as an adult but as an older cousin (once removed or whatever) you have an even stronger imperative to step up as "the village" when the mother is absent or incompetent.

finalyearsofhate 22

That's complete bull. An adult can and should stop that behavior. Depending on age, it doesn't have to be that bad or difficult. My niece used to be a terror until I found a way to talk a bit of sense into her.

SmittyJA24 26

So a neighbor called the cops? I'd have let the cops take the li'l demon for a ride....

Goblin182 26

That kid would have never been left at my house. if you knew how this kid was and still allowed your cousin to dump her on you. YDI.

BS! You don't have to be the parent to "parent" a child.

I'd discipline the child. Don't want me to? Don't leave your wilding kids with me.

What do you mean you can't discipline her? She was left in YOUR care at YOUR house. Do what you have to do to make sure she doesn't continue to be a demon. Even if that means putting some heat on that bottom. Deal with your sister after. She's only your sister, she doesn't pay your bills. I hope..

Discipline is one thing, but don't hit other people's kids.

No beat the little shit and if anything is said don't keep it anymore.