By ImAnEngineer - 23/09/2015 17:09 - United States - Canandaigua

Today, my boss quit, leaving me as the only structural engineer at my company. I'm fresh out of college and will have to finish the projects on my own. Hope Google can teach me how to do this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 702
You deserved it 1 880

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Being the only one, you would be considered the head of structural engineering, correct? So request a meeting with the heads of your company and talk about hiring some new recruits, or at least sending you to a proper training.

castleofg1ass 19

Well its the company's responsibility to give you training so maybe talk to the CEO or the head of company

Comments

Then if he says he can't help you, well then I'm sorry but you have to decline this, making buildings requires years worth of experience, this IS NOT something you can learn from Google, if somehow one your buildings that you've signed the plans falls down, YOU will be the responsible for it!

Um, a structural engineer you say? Could you tell us what structures your company is responsible for building so we can, you know, stay away? That is severely irresponsible on their part.

Well, actually, you probably don't have your PE if you're fresh out of college. That would make you an EIT, and you're not legally allowed to design structures without being overseen by a PE.

That's messed up. But in all seriousness if you can pull off finishing the projects that will look great to the company and on a resume. I'm rooting for you

hey, at least getting a promotion won't be as hard

So if you’re depending on google to teach you how to do your job I gotta ask...what the hell were you doing instead of paying attention in college?