Breakdown

By Gullible - 25/02/2013 06:10 - United States - Cleveland

Today, my boyfriend of three years told me he was thinking about us taking a break. After an hour of crying and him saying it would be okay, I accepted it. When I asked when the break would start, he replied, "What are you talking about? I only said I'd thought about it" and then laughed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 505
You deserved it 7 409

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Its not very cool or nice of him to let you cry for an hour over this. he sounds like he just wanted to show how in control he is of the relationship. Not acceptable. Maybe you should think about starting the break.

Comments

So cruel to where he probably enjoyed watching her cry.

It's also pretty cruel to rape my childhood 51

1PersonIsMyWorld 22

I agree 1----- he's a ****** asshole!!!!

27-If I punch you then say it was a joke, does that make it okay? OP just had that happen to her (the emotional version anyway).

Yeah 58...didn't even really need to watch tellytubbies (sp?) (or even know what they are) to be horrified by that...

R5luver 5

That is the cruelest "joke" ever

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Really? Because me and my boyfriend took a break since we argued a lot and now we're even better than we were before. We didn't even see anyone else.

13- That is really good, honestly, I'm glad it worked out that way (: But it isn't always the case :S As with my girlfriend, we ended up breaking up because she met someone else during said break. One week. It took one week.

I'm not saying a break can't be a good thing but know it could also be code for "I want to date other people but don't want you to because I might decide I want you back incase I can't find anyone better".

Ali_Br_fml 33

30, yeah I think 25 was doing a Friends reference (that was my first thought too)...but I don't think the people who thumbed you down watched the tv show Friends. Maybe they think you meant "So can you guys just be friends?"

High school relationships #17... People are "boyfriend girlfriend" for a couple of weeks, if that! Don't stress man. :)

LeaAnne94 17

It's been over a year for my boyfriend and I and were seniors. :S

A have a feeling she already knew this "new" guy...

My boyfriend and I took a break and ultimately it saved our relationship. If you're thinking about a break still wanting to stay with this person then I would set boundaries like "this isn't a break to see other people but more so to focus on ourselves" type thing.

Tell home you're thinking about making him his favourite food, and then give him poop on a stick.

You have just given him all of the power in the relationship.

Its not very cool or nice of him to let you cry for an hour over this. he sounds like he just wanted to show how in control he is of the relationship. Not acceptable. Maybe you should think about starting the break.

Not think, DO. The last time someone thought about it they only thought about it.

1800SMD 2

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Or he's just an ass. What kind of person do you think would emotionally torment a person they're supposed to care about?

41 - That kind of person is called a sadist.

I don't get the whole "break" thing. Either you want to be with someone or you don't. I think it's a cheap game to keep the other one at bay but available while you take some "me-time". It's immature and selfish. OP, don't let yourself be manipulated.

My ex and I took a break and we lasted a good 4 years after the break. We both needed alone time to figure stuff out and agreed to not see anyone else. In the end we broke up because life took us in different directions. Me to college and his to his parents basement.

RedPillSucks 31

Taking a break is not always about finding someone else. Sometimes the drama in a relationship can be exhausting.

#52 that's why I took a break with my ex. We were always fighting and he was getting to be too controlling and possessive. I thought the break would help a bit and give us both a breather. Clearly, it didnt work

I think we should have a third option. All it says is just "What an asshole". I think it would get a heavy workout if it was thrown in to rotation....