By ImAnEngineer - 23/09/2015 17:09 - United States - Canandaigua

Today, my boss quit, leaving me as the only structural engineer at my company. I'm fresh out of college and will have to finish the projects on my own. Hope Google can teach me how to do this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 702
You deserved it 1 880

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Being the only one, you would be considered the head of structural engineering, correct? So request a meeting with the heads of your company and talk about hiring some new recruits, or at least sending you to a proper training.

castleofg1ass 19

Well its the company's responsibility to give you training so maybe talk to the CEO or the head of company

Comments

cooltatgar 31

Can you hire someone? I'm an engineer, I have no life.

It is my understanding that you cannot sign off plans, you need a professional registered structural engineer to do that. So they will need to hire someone new! Goodluck!

Well at least you will get good work experience from this, who knows maybe you will do good! Hope for the best.

No way!! This is a great thing. Do your best and this is a great leadership opportunity for you!

Ask for a raise and a promotion now. Far too many FMLs on here when someone waited until after doing all the work and then got screwed.

This is the time u keep smiling and try to prove yourself...as if u have a choice

The first step is always the hardest. You made top dog, real quick. Do a good job, your already at the top of the ladder.

in a way, this is pretty awesome - assuming you get proper pay. ;)

Oh doesn't that suck. Straight out of college to face the real world. Keep crying about it, or pull on your big girl pants and handle it.

Miss33_fml 15

Thank you - couldn't have said it better myself :)

FieldLeftBlank 20

You obviously know nothing about civil engineering then. If he's the head of the project, he accepts responsibility for any possible future failures. It's insane to expect that of a fresh graduate.

21 is such a pointlessly aggressive idiot that they don't know how much of an idiot they are. It's normal to come fresh out of school and start an engineering job. It's not normal for someone that inexperienced to be suddenly put in charge of making buildings and bridges. At all.

As 24 was saying, structural engineer has a lot of responsibility that someone fresh out of college with little to no experience isn't ready for. As much as college teaches, to be in charge of something like that you need experience