By ImAnEngineer - 23/09/2015 17:09 - United States - Canandaigua

Today, my boss quit, leaving me as the only structural engineer at my company. I'm fresh out of college and will have to finish the projects on my own. Hope Google can teach me how to do this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 702
You deserved it 1 880

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Being the only one, you would be considered the head of structural engineering, correct? So request a meeting with the heads of your company and talk about hiring some new recruits, or at least sending you to a proper training.

castleofg1ass 19

Well its the company's responsibility to give you training so maybe talk to the CEO or the head of company

Comments

To all those saying jump in, google can help, etc... You do realize a structural engineer can have criminal charges filed against them if a structural failure costs lives?

I wonder if they'd be cheering OP on if OP were a surgeon who suddenly had to play it by ear and hope for the best. Very bad situation.

tantanpanda 26

^this would never happen in the first place. You don't go straight from med school to becoming a surgeon.

Just don't run.. Google is your teacher now

I’ll pass on being in the building or in the bridge built by someone who used google as a guide.

Well, if your supposed to model a skyscraper maybe you should talk to your boss about it first.

Don't go to Google, go to another engineer, call up the SWE and start making contacts. Don't trust Google with your career and license

Please don't accept this situation in a career where mistakes cost lives.

nitrog100 21

It would never come to that. The school I went to was a little under 1/3 engineering students, so I learned quite a bit about their work. The FML isn't so much about the engineering, which has rather set-in-stone standards, as it is getting the job done, e.g. how to get stuff approved, who does what, etc.

Look at the Hyatt Regency hotel walkway collapse. Now look back at me. Now back at the engineering failure that killed over a hundred people because those safeguard specs went unmet. Now look at your comment. Now look back at me.

How can you be fresh out of college and already have your PE? Qualify all of your work, and make other engineers sign and seal their scopes. Get stamped drawings or calcs and review them. If you have other trades to coordinate, call them and ask to speak with their engineers and work through it.

imslappy 8

all that partying in college is paying off now right?

Google isn't much of a mentor...maybe a real mentor will help more