By MikaPika - 07/03/2017 20:00 - Sweden - G?teborg

Today, my boss offered me a 3% "raise" with new commission targets. Consequently this "raise" would result in my income being reduced by a third. Apparently, if I can reach my current targets, they're too easy. So, as a reward for being great at my job, I get a reduced salary. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 901
You deserved it 363

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Since it was phrased as an offer, couldn't you just turn it down? Might it be the kind of offer you can't refuse, you know, with the horseheads in your beds etc.?

Same thing happened to my wife. Time to start looking for another job.

Comments

Since it was phrased as an offer, couldn't you just turn it down? Might it be the kind of offer you can't refuse, you know, with the horseheads in your beds etc.?

Your reduced salary won't incentivize hard work, you'll be demoted to your previous commission targets, you'll be eager to work for your previous salary, you'll get the "raise" again, the salary won't incentivize hard work, and this cycle will continue forever, raising and sinking your salary like some sort of cruel… lava lamp.

Wow! They say Americans are bad at math. Thanks, Sweden, for making us look good!

What OP means is that he works for a base pay - and a commission (or bonus) for meeting sales targets. In the US it's called a "base+commission split". He was offered a 3% raise on his base pay - but his sales targets were raised so much that he will be losing most or all of any commissions he previously earned, resulting in an overall loss of income of around 30%.

I think what Dick means is that the (Swedish) boss is shit at math if he/she is honestly calling it a "raise".

Same thing happened to my wife. Time to start looking for another job.

Yuck! Start looking for a new job! A place the values their employees won't pull something like that!

Viewerv 2

This is the kind of thing that leads to career management. Where the management part involves managing your boss and their expectations. The situation is usually compounded by the fact that our society mistakes sociopathy as leadership often enough that we have a lot of bad people in management.

bosses do it everywhere. and that's why sales folks just almost not reach their targets...

If it's a raise, how is your salary being reduced?

Know your rights at work folks. This could very well be illegal depending on how OP is employed and the laws in Sweden.