By deku - 22/06/2015 22:34 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I went to the ER for extremely heavy bleeding related to my IUD birth control. They decided the best thing to do was remove it. An exam, two ultrasounds, and three x-rays later, the doctor comes back to tell me what's going on. Yeah, they can't find it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 822
You deserved it 2 097

deku tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here! First, #14 you made me snort laughing!!! So more information, I know from an ultrasound done a few days before this that my body was trying to expell the iud. The on-call doc I talked to didn't like the amount I was suddenly bleeding and told me to go to the ER where they would most likely remove it. So yeah, I was pretty shocked when the ER doc said it wasn't there! They are certain that it's no longer in my body though and believe it came out during one of my bathroom visits the night before. And that actually makes sense to me because that's when the bleeding began and it's the only time I wouldn't have seen it. I'm doing a bit better, though I don't know what I'll do from here on out as I can't use hormonal birth control. ?

Top comments

Unfortunately it's possible to bleed it out of your system, and as you went to the hospital with heavy bleeding and it can't be found I would wager that is what happened. Hope you can get it replaced easily.

Comments

You should use spermicidal lubricant/foam/film and condoms! It works just as well :)

They stopped selling those things in the 1970's for a reason. Ydi.

Stopped selling IUD's in the 70's? That's not true because they're still an option today...were you referring to something else?

The only birth control doctors stopped selling in the 70's was abstinence.

maddiealexx_ 15

I believe you're thinking about the Dalkon Shield which was introduced in 1971 and came off the market in 1975. It caused severe injuries to many women, as well as some fatalities, which led to many lawsuits and eventually caused the company to declare bankruptcy. Since then, IUDs are still on the market, including hormonal and non-hormonal options. They've proven to be a safe and effective form of birth control for many women, with few cases of injuries as a result of an IUD. As with any form of birth control, or just medications in general, there are still risks but they're generally safe and do their intended purpose without complications. We've come a long way with IUDs since the whole Dalkon Shield incident.

She deserves it because she's allergic to hormones an most condoms?

Of course I read this literally less than 10 minutes after scheduling an appointment to talk about getting an IUD..

try the implant! Its amazing!!!!!!!! and it lasts three years

I wouldn't freak if I were you. Every body has different experiences with birth control, I heard a few horror stories about the depo shot but 4 years later, mine has been great

Don't worry, most people have no problems whatsoever with it. I had one for about two years between pregnancies and now have had my second for two and a half years and it never gave me trouble. My SIL has had hers for over ten years now. A friend got hers a couple of months ago. It's really great!

That may be true but depending on which IUD you get it lasts anywhere from 5-10 years.

MonstreBelle 28

When you compare the number of women who have it to the ones who have serious complications, only a small percentage of women have serious complications. It just seems like a huge percentage of women have serious complications because that's all you really hear about IUDs. Nobody really talks about their birth control when it works well for them. Don't let this FML scare you away from IUDs, they really can be a great, semi-permanent birth control option that doesn't leave room for failing due to human error. Nexaplon is also a great, semi-permanent birth control and is inserted right under the skin in your upper arm

Try the implant! I've had mine for almost a year and it's fantastic! You get it injected into your arm and forget about it for three years. Then you get it removed and get a new one. easy

Implanton and nexplanton are both hormonal implants OP said she can't use hormonal birth control.

I guess if you don't plan on getting pregnant for at least 3 years that would be okay. I've heard from a few people who used it that they had really long periods and bled a ton on it. Not for me, I'm good with condoms.

moo77_fml 20
dantedevil 12

What do you mean they can't find it?!

hayylers 12

I've had the implant in my arm for over a year now, barely ever get a "period" (usually just a panty liner required for one day) and it got rid of my cramps. Before I would be stuck in bed for days even after taking multiple Motrin 800s. Best thing I've ever done

yes! you used the oxford comma! Oh and sorry they cant find it