By deku - 22/06/2015 22:34 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I went to the ER for extremely heavy bleeding related to my IUD birth control. They decided the best thing to do was remove it. An exam, two ultrasounds, and three x-rays later, the doctor comes back to tell me what's going on. Yeah, they can't find it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 822
You deserved it 2 097

deku tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here! First, #14 you made me snort laughing!!! So more information, I know from an ultrasound done a few days before this that my body was trying to expell the iud. The on-call doc I talked to didn't like the amount I was suddenly bleeding and told me to go to the ER where they would most likely remove it. So yeah, I was pretty shocked when the ER doc said it wasn't there! They are certain that it's no longer in my body though and believe it came out during one of my bathroom visits the night before. And that actually makes sense to me because that's when the bleeding began and it's the only time I wouldn't have seen it. I'm doing a bit better, though I don't know what I'll do from here on out as I can't use hormonal birth control. ?

Top comments

Unfortunately it's possible to bleed it out of your system, and as you went to the hospital with heavy bleeding and it can't be found I would wager that is what happened. Hope you can get it replaced easily.

Comments

this is very scary, I just got my iud one week ago... :(

This is one of the many reasons I'll never get an IUD. Pills are so much better, if you remember to take them (which hopefully if you have a reason to take them, you're responsible enough to do so). But seriously, how can they not find it? I don't get it, even after x-rays. O.o

Well no shit, maybe don't stick alien objects up in there and there won't be a problem in the first place...

OP, which IUD did you have? I have one and now I'm freaking out.

This happened to me had to have it surgically removed. I switched to the shot! Much better!!!!

BooBooKittyF11 21

you probably have pcos i think idk but it really sucks i have it... its basically cycst and they on occasion pop

effedUpandDown 13

Well this story is definitely something to share at my next doctor visit. Every time I bring up sterilization they try to get me to use IUD. Nope. Not happening.

Yikes. That's why I don't trust that kind of birth control. I do the depo shot or the pill only.