By deku - 22/06/2015 22:34 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I went to the ER for extremely heavy bleeding related to my IUD birth control. They decided the best thing to do was remove it. An exam, two ultrasounds, and three x-rays later, the doctor comes back to tell me what's going on. Yeah, they can't find it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 822
You deserved it 2 097

deku tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here! First, #14 you made me snort laughing!!! So more information, I know from an ultrasound done a few days before this that my body was trying to expell the iud. The on-call doc I talked to didn't like the amount I was suddenly bleeding and told me to go to the ER where they would most likely remove it. So yeah, I was pretty shocked when the ER doc said it wasn't there! They are certain that it's no longer in my body though and believe it came out during one of my bathroom visits the night before. And that actually makes sense to me because that's when the bleeding began and it's the only time I wouldn't have seen it. I'm doing a bit better, though I don't know what I'll do from here on out as I can't use hormonal birth control. ?

Top comments

Unfortunately it's possible to bleed it out of your system, and as you went to the hospital with heavy bleeding and it can't be found I would wager that is what happened. Hope you can get it replaced easily.

Comments

Astrobomb 21

another reason not to get that crap

Yet another instance in which the only possible explanation for a YDI would be the occasional accidental click.

This is why YOU DONT STICK ANYTHING UP THERE!!!!

So.. You're saying don't have sex, ********** or use tampons like any other normal human does???? okay.

It doesn't make one abnormal either. You vile shamer.

MonstreBelle 28

Talk to your doctor about getting a pelvic MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) done. If it's still in there and causing such heavy bleeding that you had to go to the ER, then doctors need to find it and remove it asap. Heavy bleeding is common after it's removed or falls out, but it shouldn't be extreme. If they say it's not necessary, then insist on it or go to a different doctor, like your primary care doctor, and ask them to write the order for it. If you have to, keep hounding them until they do one just to shut you up. While it very well may have just fallen out on its own and it's causing you to bleed more than normal, you need to know for sure and a pelvic MRI would be your best bet.

It's a common problem with IUDs. They can fall out through heavy bleeding, get embedded in the uteran wall, & can be lost. That's why I won't get them.

Yeah, that's why I'm not getting one... Sticking with the pill despite the side effects. FYL! Get better soon! ❤️

read about nfp! the real thing and not just counting days! it's the same amount of time/day, you can miss days, hormone free, less than $20/year and if done correctly, the pearlindex is better than the pill...

Hey guys, OP here! First, #14 you made me snort laughing!!! So more information, I know from an ultrasound done a few days before this that my body was trying to expell the iud. The on-call doc I talked to didn't like the amount I was suddenly bleeding and told me to go to the ER where they would most likely remove it. So yeah, I was pretty shocked when the ER doc said it wasn't there! They are certain that it's no longer in my body though and believe it came out during one of my bathroom visits the night before. And that actually makes sense to me because that's when the bleeding began and it's the only time I wouldn't have seen it. I'm doing a bit better, though I don't know what I'll do from here on out as I can't use hormonal birth control. ?

MonstreBelle 28

A diaphragm is always an option for women who can't use hormonal control

You should use spermicidal lubricant/foam/film and condoms. It works just as well :) I think Trojan makes condoms already with spermicidal lubricant on them.

Does spermicidal lube just kill the sperm? I've never understood what exactly it was, as I've never seen it before in my life

Your husband/boyfriend could just put on a condom!

condoms ! .... or abstinence. .... condoms !

Gwyddone 29

Good tho hear! This was a real FYL, and one of those that isn't your faul, OP. Feel better soon!

My boyfriend and I have only used condoms. We found a brand we like and consider the expense much more reasonable compared to the alternative haha You could try a copper IUD as they have no hormones.

Which IUD did you get? If it was the regular copper one, maybe try the gold one. It's smaller, so maybe your body won't work as hard against it. It is a bit more expensive but can be used longer, so money/year is about the same. Good luck for your next try! BTW, I ,too, can't use hormones and initially my Ob/gyn told me she wouldn't recommend the IUD for me because I always had heavy periods and bad cramps. I still tried it because it really is the only practical long term alternative to hormones. I'm eternally greatful that it worked out for me.

You can always just get a new IUD once you've had a few weeks to heal. Having expelled your first IUD doesn't actually increase the chances of a new one being expelled. My first one expelled and I'm on my second now and everything's going fine.

It was a Paraguard, which has no hormones. I had the same iud a few years ago for about 14 months and never had any problems whatsoever, my doctor believes that this particular iud was defective in some way because my body expelled it within three months of placement. And after talking with my doctor I plan on getting another iud in a few months after I heal a bit. Because I've had one successfully before, I should be fine this time around and right now with the way my body is, this is still the best birth control for me. :)

I had that one too. Fortunately when I went to the ER mine was still there and was only partially expelled. OP you are brave to try again a third time!! I just got a tubal last summer. Anyhow, I believe a new hormone free IUD is coming to the market soon. I hope all is well and hope for a quick recovery!

Spermicide blocks semen from entering the uterus and it will also kill sperm that might get through the barrier.

WHY?!! Why would you be forced to take one for the team, is a latex condom really that bad? What the hell?! What kind of genius would insert a T shaped piece of metal/ plastic in her uterus!? Use condoms,why pay up to 1000 dollars on IUDs, when you can pay like 4 dollars for a three-pack box of condoms! It makes absolutely no sense and any man that agrees that his wife/girlfriend get an IUD is a selfish bastard!

#110, Who said OP was forced to get one? IUD's help with more than just pregnancy prevention.

#110 It's pretty simple actually, we pay about $20 out of pocket for an iud that lasts for ten years. The cost of condoms for ten years is significantly higher than that but besides that, I'm allergic to latex. And yes, they do make latex free condoms but where I live anyway they're much more expensive and really don't feel that great. And my husband is more than willing to get a vasectomy but I am not ready for that yet. Also abstinence is always an option but not the best option for a married couple that seven years and two kids later is still crazy about each other. :)

MonstreBelle 28

110- Yes! Any man who wants a woman to protect herself from an unplanned pregnancy is just being a selfish asshole who refuses to use condoms! It's not like condoms ever break or otherwise fail! If a couple decides an IUD is best, then the man should just chop his balls off instead so the woman doesn't have to get one! They are the ones who have a dick, it is their responsibility! A woman shouldn't have to be responsible about sex and preventing pregnancy! That's sarcasm. I normally wouldn't say anything, but I'm afraid you might think I was actually being serious. Last time I checked, men and women are equally responsible for preventing pregnancy. This is why mature men and women discuss birth control and figure out what would be the best option(s) before they start having sex. Please don't reproduce. There is enough stupidity in the gene pool already.

rocker_chick23 27

#122: OP explained that she has a latex allergy, and that latex free condoms are expensive, that is why she has an IUD. Reading is your friend.

cheshireau 26

Still crazy about each other, that's really lovely. I don't see it around much.

Same exact thing happened to my step mom. She's already had 4 surgeries just to find it. FYL

We use a combination of a few things, barrier methods, natural contraception (google it). I cant use any hormonal contraceptives, my IUD was surgically removed along with the cyst it caused.

"natural contraception" is by no means an effective one except if you plan to be pregnant... maybe....

If you did some actual research, 74, you'd find that several methods are as effective as the Pill.

rocker_chick23 27

#91: If you did actual research, you would find out that NFP doesn't work for women with irregular periods.