By deku - 22/06/2015 22:34 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I went to the ER for extremely heavy bleeding related to my IUD birth control. They decided the best thing to do was remove it. An exam, two ultrasounds, and three x-rays later, the doctor comes back to tell me what's going on. Yeah, they can't find it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 822
You deserved it 2 097

deku tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here! First, #14 you made me snort laughing!!! So more information, I know from an ultrasound done a few days before this that my body was trying to expell the iud. The on-call doc I talked to didn't like the amount I was suddenly bleeding and told me to go to the ER where they would most likely remove it. So yeah, I was pretty shocked when the ER doc said it wasn't there! They are certain that it's no longer in my body though and believe it came out during one of my bathroom visits the night before. And that actually makes sense to me because that's when the bleeding began and it's the only time I wouldn't have seen it. I'm doing a bit better, though I don't know what I'll do from here on out as I can't use hormonal birth control. ?

Top comments

Unfortunately it's possible to bleed it out of your system, and as you went to the hospital with heavy bleeding and it can't be found I would wager that is what happened. Hope you can get it replaced easily.

Comments

That is actually more common than you would think. Find Mirena IUD support group (WOMEN ONLY/NO SPAM PLEASE) on Facebook. You will find women who have gone through the same thing and will be happy to give advice.

There is also the lifejournal group "IUD Divas" where you can find a lot of knowledgeable people with helpful advice.

Well, that is unsettling. I just had the Mirena placed after my son was born and my six weeks went by.

hoosiergirl94 31
LazyLion 12

Incredible Undetectable Device

Violord 13

That may be why you're bleeding

Where are they searching really? Thats scary. Hopefully they can resolve it.

Go back on the pill? If you can afford it after that giant fiasco that must have cost an arm and a leg

You realize the IUD releases 2 hormones right? I had it, and it sucked, made me feel like I was pregnant the whole yr I had it. now I'm on the depo shot and it only has 1 hormone. not to mention the IUD makes sex painful :/

#57 If you're referring to the Dalkon Shield IUD, then yes, that's been off the market since about 1972. The iuds used today are worlds safer and are vastly superior to those banned in the 70s. But, obviously, nothing comes without risk and what happened to me only happens to a small percent of the women who use them, most have no problems at all. Case in point: a few years ago I had this same iud for over a year with no problems whatsoever. And call me crazy but in a few months I'll be getting another at my obgyn's recommendation. It's still the best method of birth control for me personally so I'll give it one more go.

no I'm not talking about that, in 2012 I had the mirena IUD and it had 2 hormones it it. the depo has 1. the pills depend on the type, some have 2 some have 1. ik this from experience and from the drs. I go in every three months and get told every time what methods I could go on to and what they do

You can't really tell a woman what will work for her body. One of the girls at work had the depo and she was in chronic pain every day for 4 months (almost became addicted to codiene and wrecked her liver) mean while, I've had it for 4 years with no problems

I have the mirena and only problems with it. first a nasty infection, than cramps, last time they tried, they couldn't remove it, and at the moment I'm unexplainable without a period for 3 months in a row (not pregnant! ). thats odd caus it stopped, came back after the hormon dosis lowered and now nobody knows why... when this is over nfp is the only method i will use! by now i know far more women with problems on the mirena than without...

and let them check your blood OP! if the levels don't drop, it might be still in place and your doctor blind... happened to a friend of mine. a different doctor found it in her uterus... after the first one ordert many expensive tests

Not all IUDs are hormonal. I have a paraguard and it doesn't use hormones at all, just copper. It also doesn't make sex painful for me. In fact, hormonal BC made sex painful for me by drying me out, plus it lowered my sex drive and just generally made me less responsive I guess. I know some people get cramps from orgasming with an IUD, but I'm pretty sure that's rare. For me switching to an IUD made sex sooooo much better, you don't even know.

Suaria 38

I've had a Mirena IUD for 4 months now. It only hurt the first and second day I had it in and I've been fine since. Sex has not been painful for me at all. When I was on the pill I had really bad mood swings and was pretty depressed. On the IUD I have had none of that. There's also the copper IUD which is not hormonal at all. I think it depends on the birth control for different people since it has different affects.

Suaria 38

I've had a Mirena IUD for 4 months now. It only hurt the first and second day I had it in and I've been fine since. Sex has not been painful for me at all. When I was on the pill I had really bad mood swings and was pretty depressed. On the IUD I have had none of that. There's also the copper IUD which is not hormonal at all. I think it depends on the birth control for different people since it has different affects.

TahoeFMler 22

Damn! I'm so sorry! I had mine migrate and have to be hunted for. I hope your follow up tells us they found it!! Good luck!

Ouch! That sounds awful. I had a similar thing happen to me last summer!

IUDs suck. I had one, but was lucky they found it right away when moving it. Sorry OP