By yes, yes it does :( - 30/04/2014 21:11 - United States

Today, I was waiting on a Canadian tourist at work, and he bought some of the most expensive stuff on the menu. I was excited about maybe getting a big tip, so I casually said that in the USA, waiters make most of our money off tips. The guy just snorted, "Sucks to be American, eh?!" and left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 148
You deserved it 30 990

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's basically asking for a tip. What a way to treat customers.

toxic_walrus 15

You were fishing for it but he was being a dick. I voted both.

Comments

Just because he orders something to go doesn't mean you get a tip! I get annoyed with waitresses and waiters who expect a tip when I come in to pick up my order.

Actually, it's proper to tip at least a $1 if you're a regular to go order person at one specific restaurant (ie 2 or more times a month). First- most hostesses or waitresses still put your stuff together in a bag for you Two- if you tip $1 (or more) each time you order, you're more likely to not be charged for extra stuff that you request. For example- I work at a 5 star restaurant. I have a regular to go lady who orders upwards of 2 times a week. Never tips at all. She calls at noon every day she orders. I'm a hostess, I'm answering phones and seating tables at the time and I'm in charge of to go orders. She's inconveniencing me by placing them at the time and she never tips? Ridiculous, Normally she requests bread (doesn't come with it unless you dine in the restaurant), extra lettuce, and extra dressing. If you tipped EVER, I wouldn't charge you for any of that extra stuff. But, since you NEVER give even a $1 and call at the WORST time for a restaurant to place your order, I sure as hell am going to charge you $3 for the bread, $2 for the extra lettuce, and .50 for the extra dressing, and you'll deal with it and like it (and my bosses are totally ok with this). Now, if you tipped every to go order even a $1, you'd SAVE yourself $4.50!!! Wow! How about that?! Hmm. And for anyone saying well maybe she HAS to order at noon, that's bullshit. First- she's the owner and CEO of her own company. Second- no office makes you take your lunch at noon. They tell you whenever as long as it's not more than an hour,. She could call at 12:15, 12:30, 12:45, or 1pm. Or Anytime at all during lunch, she CHOOSES to do noon, and knows it's the most inconvenient time to call.

I'd rather pay for what I get than tip someone with your attitude. Not everyone understands that you don't feel like serving them at a particular time - and why should they? You are in the service industry and are paid to serve (as am I). I am constantly taking phone calls about bookings and random enquiries at peak times, due to the fact that not all people have worked in our industry - they call while we are busy because they know we're open at this time! I'm sure your "inconvenience" at their call is heard in your voice on the phone. Perhaps you are not suited to service...?

If you left your sheltered little American world on occasion, you'd realize that Canadians are actually MUCH better tippers than Americans. You earned that by fishing for it.

rocker_chick23 27

As a former waitress I can tell you that I don't blame him for not giving you a tip. What you did was very unprofessional.

In Canada we make most of our money on tips too. And here in Canada we don't ask for tips or try to get a big tip. Maybe you should have treated your customer well and earned your tip!

I'm a Canadian and I can assure you that most Canadians would not do that, even though you guys always make fun of us.

Want big tips? Get a job circumcising elephants.

It is unfair how the pay system works for waiting staff in the USA and I think they should be on a set wages independant of tips as in most civilised countries. How ever you totally deserved it for asking for a tip (even in a round about way). If that was me I would not have tipped OP after that remark either where as I genrally tip waiting staff and I'm in a country where they are not even dependant on it.

groovycrazyjoe 18

I wouldn't have tip the waitress either because he was dropping huge hits . Did OP say the guy had money, so OP decided to go try hard

what i dont get is that in canada most of the waiters get their money from tips, you juust didnt deserved any because you basically asked for it...

Cost of service is not included in the cost of your food. If you want service, you pay for it. When you sit down at a restaurant, you're hiring a server to come work for you, and you pay the industry standard rate. Doesn't matter if you "agree" with the system or not, if you know how the system works, you're obligated to act accordingly. Otherwise, you're stealing. Nobody is entitled to free service for any reason. If you think the cost of service should be included in the cost of food, discuss it with the owner. Perhaps they'll be happy to sit down with you and work out a new schedule of pricing for menu items that includes the cost of full-time employees. Bear in mind, however, that no server will work for minimum wage. They aren't standing behind a counter scanning items. They're running around with arms full of stuff, being called in every direction for hours at a time. $7.90 isn't gonna cut it, and if you think it will, be prepared for McDonald's style service. However, OP, come on, man. You should know that talking about tips is totally unprofessional AND embarrassing. Canadians know to tip, the guy was an asshole, and so were you.

thrlyrist 6

I would understand your argument if I were given a choice to receive service or not. Since I am not allowed to serve myself, as a customer, I am buying an experience--food, service, and ambience. You can't separate them. Perhaps just do what Europe does--including the service charge with dined in food. (Food is cheaper for take out). I understand that servers are victims of the circumstances here, but I have seen my share of servers who take it as granted. If the server just hands you the menu, takes you the order, and brings you the food with an indifferent attitude, I am not sure she deserves 20% tip. For 20%, I expect smiles, friendly greeting,good intro of today's special, menu and wine suggestion, check on food, etc. heck, I rarely a server does all that, and perhaps that person with great service deserve 25%! The bottom line is that you have to work for it.

No, that is not correct. If it was true, then I would have the option of not procuring your service and getting my food directly from the kitchen without your interference. If service was extra, I would also have the right to choose the server I was hiring. But if the venue requires that I use a waiter, the service is part of the price.