By yes, yes it does :( - 30/04/2014 21:11 - United States

Today, I was waiting on a Canadian tourist at work, and he bought some of the most expensive stuff on the menu. I was excited about maybe getting a big tip, so I casually said that in the USA, waiters make most of our money off tips. The guy just snorted, "Sucks to be American, eh?!" and left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 148
You deserved it 30 990

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's basically asking for a tip. What a way to treat customers.

toxic_walrus 15

You were fishing for it but he was being a dick. I voted both.

Comments

You do a good job, I tip you. You don't do a good job, I don't tip you. Simple and final.

I do not understand the american way of tipping. A volontary extra tax on my food, that is also mandatory. Why ? So that the owner of the resturant can get away with paying less. I fully support him not paying it, for it is a stupid system. You should not be dependent on strangers giving you money WHEN YOU ARE ON YOUR JOB !

I actually read the whole thing.. Everything that you said was amazing!

i know i will get hate but why should you gwt tips all the time? maybe you was a bad waiter. well you was for asking. but if waiting does not pay enough in america or anywhere get another job. if it was like that hear on england then it would be against the law not to give enough money to live off when you go out to dinner here you pay for the food. which is why you go out but why should i pay tips as well. eating out is expensive enough without tips!!!!

it is idiotic to say that the customer should not be responsible for paying the tip part of the salary instead of the owner. all the money for salary comes from customers, not just the tips. more to the point, stupid system or not, it is the case in america, and not tipping here is the same as ripping someone off. i agree - if you can't afford to tip you're eating at a place that is above your means

bleu85 11

I would have left no tips too.

I once had a waiter add my tip to the bill for me in the US. I couldn't believe it and neither could his manager. We ate our $200 meal for free that night. I appreciate that waiters live off tips, as it is the same in most restaurants in Canada. If you have given good service, you will get tipped accordingly. I'm sorry he felt the need to leave a rude remark in the process but YDI for fishing for a bigger tip.

Oh boy oh boy.....knew this would be full of Team Tippers and Team Non-tippers. We get it, you don't tip in some other countries. However, in the States....right or wrong....we do have a tip system in place at most restaurants. People who live in the States know this and most abide by that custom....especially when they know (right or wrong) the server only gets paid a percentage of minimum wage and pays taxes on what the govt. figures is the average income earned from tips based on sales. Some people decide to not tip based on "principle", but that does not force the restaurant to pay better wages and eliminate the tip system. All it does is force the server to pay for the privilege of serving you through taxes withdrawn from their paycheck (which is probably cents by the time all the deductions are utilized). If you don't wish to participate in the tipping system, show your "principle" by not patronizing those establishments.

The problem right here is not the principle. I actually am a big tipper. However I tip regarding the quality of service. I go as up as 30% when I'm satisfied but any waiter who pressurizes me to do so just forfeited his tip.

I completely agree with you. I almost always tip well above the 15% and have only had a few instances where I didn't tip at all because the server was rude. Since I was a server years ago, I am more apt to err on the side of forgiveness for things such as food being wrong, late, or cold because I know a lot of times that is not their fault. I also am very aware of how busy they are. If I see they have a large party or several tables in addition to mine, I tend to be more forgiving of slow or not-as-attentive service. That being said, I would have NEVER mentioned tipping to a customer unless they are asking if it is customary in my restaurant.

Some places have tip-out. It's a premeditated amount of the food cost (usually 1.5-6.5%) that automatically is factored out of the server's wages. That money is split between hostess, bus boys, kitchen staff, dishwashers, and bartenders. If service is bad but the food is good, I'll tip the tip out rate if I know it for that place (or else 5%). The waiter doesn't deserve to lose money and earn below minimum wage, but they don't deserve a real tip. That said, an exceptionally rude waiter/waitress will cause a 0% tip and a boycott of the restaurant (or chain) and usually a nice chat with the manager about their service. I'm Canadian, custom is 15-30%. I round up to the nearest dollar and tip 10% for average service, and upwards from there. The minimum wage gap is not as big here as it is in the states (90c difference in my province)