By yes, yes it does :( - 30/04/2014 21:11 - United States

Today, I was waiting on a Canadian tourist at work, and he bought some of the most expensive stuff on the menu. I was excited about maybe getting a big tip, so I casually said that in the USA, waiters make most of our money off tips. The guy just snorted, "Sucks to be American, eh?!" and left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 148
You deserved it 30 990

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's basically asking for a tip. What a way to treat customers.

toxic_walrus 15

You were fishing for it but he was being a dick. I voted both.

Comments

I've worked for tips before myself, I feel bad for you but you brought it upon yourself. If people do that to me, I tip the bare minimum if anything and follow it up with a comment to their manager recommending additional customer service training.

I live in Canada and my family and I always tip...when they don't bring it up like a jerk. EH...

He should be more careful, my mother and my aunt once went to a pizza place in New York City and when they were done and starting to leave the big, burly waiter, whom my mother told me was Greek and didn't speak English well, chased after them saying they didn't leave a big enough tip!

Finally, a story about an ass hole tourist who isn't American.

LittleRed79 39

Yeah, but is the asshole REALLY the tourist in this one? I'd say OP started and deserved it here.

Well, I've been in desperate need of money myself and wasn't beneath asking people for money, so I have to forgive OP there. But the tourist just ripped her off for work she did for him purely.out of spite. That's definitely the bigger dick move.

Even as an american that would make me somewhat mad for you to hint at that. I willingly give tips to waiters/waitresses who work for and deserve the tip!

skyeyez9 24

I remember I went grocery shopping and the bagger (who relies on tips) didnt bag my stuff, so I did it myself. I asked why since he was obviously on duty and he said "I dont feel like bagging till 9am" and it was around 8:55am. So I was like Ok, no big deal. Bagged my stuff and was headed out, he said "hey, where's my tip?" I said "I don't feel like tipping before 9 am" and went on my way. Why the heck he felt he needed a tip despite NOT bagging or assisting in any way is beyond my comprehension.

It's customary to tip in Canada. You sealed your own fate with that comment, OP

urnnotvase 10

It's rude to basically ask for a tip. I give tips to the degree that they deserve it. Never ever assume. It still comes down to it being their money they worked for and they have the right to spend it as they see fit. If you're a hard worker and humble, you'll be rewarded one way or another.

Well you better tip high...it's proper and will humor probably your waiter