By yes, yes it does :( - 30/04/2014 21:11 - United States

Today, I was waiting on a Canadian tourist at work, and he bought some of the most expensive stuff on the menu. I was excited about maybe getting a big tip, so I casually said that in the USA, waiters make most of our money off tips. The guy just snorted, "Sucks to be American, eh?!" and left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 148
You deserved it 30 990

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's basically asking for a tip. What a way to treat customers.

toxic_walrus 15

You were fishing for it but he was being a dick. I voted both.

Comments

I'm Canadian and the same goes for us. He's not coming from a rural country.

It's not because it's not expected to tip in a country that it makes this place rural. Tipping is forbidden in Japan and it's far from a "rural country". Not every country has the same tipping culture.

Bigsil69 3

Every Canadian knows plenty about tipping. What you did was insulting to the customer, and clearly a passive-aggressive attempt to get the tip. I *HATE* when American wait staff do that. It's a guaranteed way to get nothing from me, and pretty good odds that I'll talk to your manager about your lack of customer service skills. I tip appropriately when I get appropriate service. Personally, I don't care if you live on it or not - as a customer, your employment conditions are wholly not my problem, and never, ever factor into the tipping equation. That appropriate amount is 15% of the pre-tax bill, + for increasingly exceptional service, and - for poor service. 0 for rude service, and a chat with the manager if you're truly insulting. A tip is earned, not owed. Exceptional service: Over and above normal service, being able to explain the menu choices if requested, putting up with my wife's complete inability to make a menu selection and remember her requests when the food arrives, sorting my situation out if I make a mess that is my fault (if I spill or do something weird that causes you extra work through my fault), or generally doing that little extra to make it a better visit. Normal service: my food comes in a timely manner, hot/cold as appropriate for the food, is properly cooked. Pleasant, or at least not rude. Poor service: anything that doesn't come up to the normal service level. Awful service: if you dare tell me how much I should tip you, or remind me to tip, or otherwise insult me personally.

I totally agree with most of what you said. Just want to point out though that the waiter doesn't really have much control over how well the food is cooked. That's more to do with the kitchen staff, and unless they actually taste the food or the bad preparation is physically visible, there's no way for the waiter to know. So rather than include "food is properly cooked" under normal service, I'd put "if the food is badly cooked, the waiter will take it back to the cook without giving you attitude." And if the food really just sucks at that particular restaurant but the waiter gives great service? Tip accordingly to their service the first time, and then never go to this restaurant again.

As a Canadian I can say we are just like everyone else! We are NOT overly polite. At all. We can be just as rude as anyone else.

Thank you. Stereotypes usually annoy me. There are rude and nice people everywhere. I'm French and I traveled with an American and a Canadian once. Everybody expected the American and me to be rude, and the Canadian to be polite when it was actually the opposite.

Even if I was going to tip, I would have decided not to after he just outright asked for one. Just because you make most of your money off tips does not entitle you to it, regardless of how much their bill comes to. Tipping should be based on your level of service provided! And there are plenty of other countries where minimum wage is something like $3-4 an hour, and they're not allowed to accept tips/ tipping is not a custom. They still manage to make ends meet, even with higher costs of living.

In the USA, there is a sub-minimum base wage for wait staff, but if the tips don't add up to at least minimum wage, the employer has to cover it. Nobody should think for a second that wait staff make less than minimum wage - they absolutely do not, and if they do their employer is breaking the law. They want the tips because they make a lot more than minimum wage on tips, and it's not always well taxed.

Helldemon 32

Also because I believe most waiters won't be able to keep their job very long if the employer has to constantly cover if they aren't getting enough tips.

Wow, really does suck to be American.

Just cause someone buys an expensive item doesn't necessarily mean they are made of money

I love how u say USA like they know nothing about the U.S even though they live right on top of you and basically hear everything that happens there cause nothing bad ever happens in Canada and almost all the jobs are the same in Canada and outside of Canada and what kind of waiter doesn't make most of there money of tips