By stupid useless criminal - 21/11/2017 19:00

Today, I saw a young child passed out unattended in a hot car so I smashed the windows to rescue him. After waiting with him for 30 minutes, his mom came out and called the cops on me. I officially have a probation violation and the mom went home free. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 581
You deserved it 553

Same thing different taste

Top comments

PhantomCrevan 8

I know I commented elsewhere on this, but in regards to the police not following protocol, it's pretty likely given they probably found out OP is on probation and automatically wrote everything they said off as lies. OP, if there were any cameras in the area, try to have the video pulled, and also bring up that the officers apparently didn't call medical attention to the area at being told that the child had passed out from being locked in a car- THAT I am very certain is a firable offense on the officers' part. It certainly would get them fired here.

PhantomCrevan 8

Actually, a lot of states do in fact have allowances for breaking into a vehicle to save a child, and some have them for doing so for any living creature. It's actually more likely that the police that responded didn't follow protocol, or let appearances alter their decision, because people have been tried for criminal neglect for NOT breaking into vehicles to save children. The fact the mother wasn't arrested for leaving her child in the car- which is completely illegal where I live, unless the child is over a certain age and the car is running with working a/c- makes me think the police are at fault here. Considering that, y'know, the kid would probably be dead otherwise.

Comments

I know that there can be a delay between submitting a FML and when it gets posted, but it's November now. I highly doubt that it could have been hot or cold enough for the kid to actually have been in danger to necessitate breaking into the car.

That depends upon where the OP lives. Australia is certainly hot enough right now.

PhantomCrevan 8

The entire Southern Hemisphere would like a word with you. More seriously, the whole reason there are laws about leaving kids and animals in cars that are off and/or don't have a/c is that they can get drastically hotter than the outside temp if exposed to even mild sunlight- and heat starts being dangerous at 80°F if the temperature is sustained. Especially for small children and the elderly.

zeffra13 31

I'm in LA & it's in the 80s this week.

definitely hot enough in australia! just last week, an 8 year old almost died after hiding away in his mothers car in 35°C weather.

tarabella 7

opinion provided by a person who thinks the weather is the same all around the world @_@

It's late November, how hot could it really have been in that car? Were you high?

It depends on where OP lives. If he lives in the Southern Hemisphere or even the southwestern U.S. (like Arizona), it could very well be rather warm, even in November. And if it's in the 80s outside, the inside of a car can get up over 100 in a matter of minutes.

Consider the 30 minutes that the OP fails to describe. If the child had remained unconscious, he would have called 911. Ergo, the child was simply sleeping, woke up terrified when he smashed the window(s) and he stayed without calling 911 for a crying child because he hoped mom would understand.

if he is from texas or some where were it is always hot

Lobby_Bee 17

Seriously, you aren't the police. Why weren't they called as soon as you got to the boy? Not only to save your ass in case shit happens but to report your situation.

If you phoned the cops first and all of you were waiting for this piece of trash of a mother, then she would have to explain to child services

OMFG are you serious? See, this is why people don't like/trust the cops. You try to do something good, and it completely backfires and becomes your fault. Meanwhile, the shitty parent basically gets a lesson like a bratty kid - do something wrong and you won't be punished, so it's okay to do it again... and next time the kid may not be so lucky.

ElderAcorn 5

Is it really that hot where you live in late November?

Why the hell didn't you call the cops? Something sounds off here.