Busted

By bustedfornuthin - 08/09/2010 04:42 - United States

Today, I was arrested by the police for sitting in what they thought was a stolen vehicle. After being slammed into the back of a squad car at gunpoint, they realized the car was actually recovered a week ago. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 895
You deserved it 2 496

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm fairly certain you actually can sue for this, darling. Is it me, or are the police getting more and more brutal these days?

cradle6 13

to everyone say that "cops wouldn't do that," BS. Cops can do whatever they want, and then lie about what happened. Their cop buddies will stand behind them. I knew a few people this happened to. And there's no point in suing because it's your word against theirs.

Comments

I'm fairly certain you actually can sue for this, darling. Is it me, or are the police getting more and more brutal these days?

Why sue? Whats wrong with Americans? Always sueing when they think they have the right...

The darling was threatened by officers on a serious power trip. I think they have their right to press charges here.

w2z1 0

Yeah suing for a just cause is fine and this would be an appropriate case.

Tasanasanta 0

Why sue? Because OP was seriously wronged. You ever been at gunpoint? I'm sure it's not a good feeling O.o

pinkpillowz 0
omfgrofl1337 0

itd probly be pointless to sue. police can easily put this off as reasonable suspision. now if you are black or some minority you may have a bit more of a case, but if not the most, if you get anything, would be a very small compensation settle which wouldnt be worth the time and money spent on making a civil lawsuit.

Have you got a problem with the way I speak, baby troll?

lcfr822 0

i agree with the cops being more suspicious, i went to the park yesterday and got sat down and my jacket, bag, and my wallet (yeah my wallet WEIRD) searched because i "looked suspicious" i think it was just because they have nothing better to do than harass people here

MoooMooMooMooMoo 0

I think this was more a problem with the police headquarters and information rather then the officers that we're on the scene. I feel bad for the op it would've been a highly confusing and frighting situation but, in America especially there's a huge crime rate and sometimes mistakes are made. The systems not perfect and probably never will be. Not that I'm trying to make excuses for them this was pretty bad. I'm just saying there's two sides to the story here.

If the car was found a week ago, they really should have been more aware of it. At least run the plates! 21, whether OP was a member of a minority or not should NOT have any bearing on their ability to press charges for that. They were a victim of a power trip, plain and simple. Anyone would be able to sue for that.

#1 Sue for what - being put into a police car and then let go? Wow - i can see how you'd have a strong case for damages, personally I'd never be able to sleep at night knowing the police were trying to do their jobs. Hopefully the case will earn you a lot of money for all the hurt and stress you went through and will end up a net benefit to the taxpayer - since you can now function correctly! Seriously, shut the **** up, you don't get to sue for shit like this. Is it just me or is society full of lazy ******* that are always looking for a quick way to make cash?

I had this type of thing happen to me once. My husband and I got pulled over and searched because a vehicle matching our description was involved in a hit and run. They used the bull horn to pull us over and everything...I was so nervous I puked and it splashed on the cops foot.

that's because this bitch is lying cops are stupid but really? this is all lies.

I think what everyones been saying in regard to a lawsuit being possible is probably right. if OP was resisting then no, but if OP didn't resist and they had the OP at gunpoint, then it's likely good cause for a lawsuit. and it'd probably be a good thing for society to have such a lawsuit or at least a serious complaint to their boss- we really can't afford to have gun-happy police patrolling our streets. cuz if they pull a gun for no reason, they could just as easily freak out and pull the trigger if an alleged suspect scares them in any way. that scares me.

I don't know if a lawsuit is justified, but a complaint to the department and any appropriate local government agency definitely is. If these officers have a history of overreaction, something should be done, and the honchos are the ones to do it. If that fails to get a response (at least an apology if none has been made yet), it's letter to the editor time.

RedPillSucks 31

Good luck with that (sarcasm). I've been pulled over by a gaggle of cop cars. We were followed for several miles (It was pretty obvious). They had plenty of time to check the license plates. We were cut off from all sides by cop cars and they came out with guns drawn. The standard "Sorry, sir, your car match the description of...." was a lame way to say they saw a black person driving a nice car in a primarily white neighborhood (that I happen to actually live in). Don't get me wrong. I'm not some suit happy person. I'm just saying that just because someone thinks they have a legitimate grievance doesn't mean it's going to get anywhere in the courts. I've had friends who were physically beaten by the cops simply because he took a parking space before they could. He sued and the city dragged his feet. Because his injuries made it difficult for him to work, he lost his job, then his house. When the suit finally concluded, what he got out of it didn't make up for all the stuff he lost.

ladykat 0

OP: if you sue you will make the world a more dangerous place. Suing will cause too many restrictions on how police deal with actual criminals!!! They were only taking precautions. If this were me, I'd be upset with whoever didn't complete the paperwork on the other car.

libertarian 0

sue sue sue. answer for everything in america. it was a moss understanding. cops are human. at least they were aware of the vehicle matching one that was stolen. cops could have cared less and the car would never have been recovered the first time.

libertarian 0

first of all a cop wouldn't pull his gun out unless threatened much leas "point" it at someone unarmed. this is an fml from a little kid that never had a gun "pointed" at him.

RedPillSucks 31

Sorry, but they do this all the time in the real world.

zinkcalls 0

its their job!! what is it with people an suing these days?

If the car was still listed as stolen when the officer ran the plates (sounds like the person who processed the recovery paperwork screwed up bigtime) then the officer has to consider it a felony car stop, which means the driver gets pulled out at gunpoint. You can bet that officer went back to the station and put the fear of God into whoever didn't finish the recovery paperwork. They can only work with the information they get over the radio.

If the car was still listed as stolen when the officer ran the plates (sounds like the person who processed the recovery paperwork screwed up bigtime) then the officer has to consider it a felony car stop, which means the driver gets pulled out at gunpoint. You can bet that officer went back to the station and put the fear of God into whoever didn't finish the recovery paperwork. They can only work with the information they get over the radio.

tianxing1012 0

This is what I dont like about cops, they do things before they get things straight and make mistakes were they shouldnt be made.

mrcoolkid566 0

yea these police now r so stupid

so what I'm hearing is that police should waste precious time ensuring that their dispatcher is giving perfect information because the alleged felony might not be valid. that's complete bs. I'd rather have my neighborhood safe. dumb a$$.

zanesaurus 0

You're wrong. In most cases against cops, the citizen wins. Just saying.

I'm gonna have to show this to all of the deputies I work with...Hahahahahahaha! Oh yea...1st* :-P

NotYourOrdinary7 6

U FAIL!!!!! that's what you get for trying rub being first in peoples faces

Oh F iPhone for not downloading shit right! Fine 2nd! Damnit

hairt 4

mmmmeowmeowmeowmeowmeoemeowmeowmeowmkrowme

Awwwww! Is the baby troll having fun? You're so cute when you're trying too hard!~

claudiame 0

SUE SUE SUE SUE! I'm suing! lol

Sun_Kissed18 25

Its actually appropriate in this case. I don't think it's very plesant having a gun pointed at you by incompetent cops who think that they know everything.

heellooPWNED 0

its shit like this that give cops a bad name even tho no1 realy likes cops anyway