By Anonymous - 01/01/2012 20:06 - United States

Today, I received a late Christmas present from my estranged father. I was really excited, having neither seen nor heard from him in nearly two years. It was a $200 gift card for a store that only exists in Canada. I don't live in Canada. Not even close. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 720
You deserved it 3 999

Same thing different taste

Top comments

midoridoll 3

Internet? The store could have a website you could order from

Comments

r u serious? maybe he didnt know, and thats a shitload if money, so dont complain!!

A shit load of money OP might not be able to spend.. A bit like my 18th birthday present from my dad, driving lessons. I'm epileptic and will never be allowed to drive..

GoW_Chick 14

At least he was thinking if you and gave you a Christmas present and you can use gift cards online so maybe see if the store has a website most of them do nowadays.

Awkward turtle, because you were correcting the spelling of someone who, in all likelihood, also made typos, a few posts ago...

GoW_Chick 14

It's fun to be a hypocrite sometimes

NiyahBabiez411 3

Wow He is LIKE A SUCKISH DAD! FYL And I am new to FMLS so can someone tell me what OP means

Original poster. Or something to that effect.

GoW_Chick 14

OP means original person as in the person who posted the FML

"wow he is like such a suckish dad" I feel like I could count your brain cells on one hand.

DontModMeDammit 10

Orange penguin. Don't ask me why though.

OctoPussy. Interwebz LOVE James Bond movies!

100- I think 34 is related to Rebecca Black, for some reason that I just can't put my finger on.

Maybe you should go VISIT him and spend the gift card

perdix 29

Plus, it's 200 Canadian dollars, which is like, 42 US cents. He spent more sending you the card than the card itself is worth.

Have you checked the value of Can $ vs US $ lately? Jealous much??

Isnt canada currency > u.s. Currency? I thought the canadian dollor passed up the u.s's

I agree 41. This is a sad attempt at a comment, perdix.

Give it ten years and the loonie to the US$ will be like the US$ is to the peso now.

perdix 29

Oops! I see my mistake. I forgot you use radians instead of degrees and I used the common logarithm instead of the Napierian. It's worth 18.3 candles per square dram. Sorry for the confusion.

I laugh at jokes worth laughing at. This made no sense. Neither does 52 analysis of perdix, suggesting his jokes rely on the fictitious? In that case, Canada's population is greater than Americas, while America is larger than Canada. Theres a couple of knee slappers! And no perdix, your mistake was coming up with ludicrous numbers to make America seem better! Now I see the joke in that! Proud to be Canadian

The American dollar is worth more. I think the exchange rate is like .932.

The Canadian dollar is worth 1.02 USA dollar, so Canada is worth more

* on January 1st 2012 at market closing time

You're right. Just the other week it was at about .932.

Thank for your honesty, some people would've just kept on arguing

112, You are new to FML, aren't you. Well, here is a tip, look up the word "sarcasm".

Sorry for having a period where a questionmark should be, my mistake.

These arguments are useless. You keep coming up with explanations in an attempt to defend Perdix's comment such as "his humour is outrageous/fiction", or "look up sarcasm" (lol), sarcasm is irony. The only thing ironic about this is that he was attempting to slam the value of the Canadian dollar and in doing so outlined the fact that the Canadian dollar is actually worth more! What would me being new to FML have to do with this? Because long term users know better then to argue? Or is it the lame argument "you can't take a joke"?

Well, I will not turn this into a verbal brawl like you seem to be trying to do, but I will say this, he was not trying to slam the Canadian dollar, and you're just overreacting to a joke.

Everybody calm down. If you've ever seen any of Perdix's comments before, they are mainly sarcastic. And please don't analyze sarcastic into the literary definition of it...I mean the manner it is usually used in the general population. Perdix was just joking. Don't read his comment and judge it critically...

I think 205 summed up what I want to say to you

Haha how was he not slamming the Canadian dollar? 200 Canadian dollars = 42 US cents? Hmm... Forgive me, but I don't see the other meaning. Enlighten me?

You're way overreacting, dude. It just a joke. People joke about America and shit all of the time. Not that big of a deal.

Dictionaries everywhere need a link to this thread for their definition of "overreaction." This thread reeks of artificial, fake indignation... and cheese...

I love how everybody gets all uppityhoohah when one country insults another. It provides me good entertainment before I go to sleep.

I'm merely stating an argument. I can assure you my temper in perfectly in check! I came across a comment, I replied. Obviously my reply sparked a lot of interest, and thus the conversation snowballed. As for laughing at my own expense, no issue what so ever! Make fun of Canadians for saying "eh" I have no problem, because it's true! However a nonsensical comment such as this one (devaluing Canada's dollar when it is actually doing better than US) called for correction. You call it overreacting, I call it not backing down! By that logic both sides are "overreacting" because I don't see you giving up either ;).

Absurdist humour and farce means nothing to some people, apparently. Really guys, loosen up. One style of comedy may not amuse you, but cluttering up the comments with indignant drivel, or "stating an argument" ad nauseum is dangerously boring. Read a book or sing Kumbaya or something instead. This thread is dead.

I don't quite follow, Sirin. Are we not allowed to express our opinions? And I suppose you are missing the main point; it's not only that I don't like it, it's that it's not true! Not even satirically, which if it was would make a world of difference! Don't get me wrong, I care little about weather perdix understands the value of the Canadian dollar. In fact the same goes for anyone on here. I merely said what I had to say, and from there replied where I saw fit. In other words defended myself from arguments I found invalid. Have I done something wrong? And if it's clutter you speak of, are you not adding to the effect? Dense vocabulary I might add.

If its dangerously boring, why are you following? No one is forcing you, or anyone else on here to this conversation...

twinny_sc 13

Go online or sell it on EBay.

fenderkid 0

you are mean at least he cared to give you something