By crucets - 06/10/2010 04:37 - United States

Today, I received a friend request on Facebook. I didn't know her, but she was cute, so I accepted the request. After looking at her pictures, I sent her a message saying "What's up cutie, do I know you?". She responded "Yes, I'm your cousin". FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 202
You deserved it 57 442

Same thing different taste

Top comments

twilightdogstar 1

I can see how this could happen. I have a large extended family, with a ton of cousins I've never met, and a few of them have added me on Facebook. Although calling her "cutie" is definitely a bit of a facepalm moment.

Comments

"What's up cutie?" isn't *that* bad. It could have been a lot worse.

perdix 29

And why this is stopping you from dating her? If she's a first cousin, marriage could be a problem in Texas, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it. The beauty part would be if you go to her family reunion, you'll know a lot of people there ;)

RedPillSucks 31

Damn perdix! you beat me to it.... OP you know its legal if its your 3rd cousin (not sure about 2nd cousin). I'd say "go for it". Just use protection... =P

Apparently there's no restriction in 20 states, then the rest of them vary. The US is the only western country that has any prohibition against it. (according to Wikipedia) Hmm - serious question - if there was a prohibition on whatever marriage you were after (gay, cousin, etc) in your home state, is it legit in the US to just go to a different state and do it? I guess the Las Vegas quickie marriage thing partially answers my question.

jacomarine89 5

Jerry lee Lewis married his 13 yr old cousin. Just a useless fact that is relevant to the fml.

Zeb: It varies quite widely. Some states or counties don't allow non-residents to marry, so you can't just go anywhere. Those that do usually have their own requirements (waiting periods, blood tests, etc.) for a marriage license. As for the types of marriages you've described, their recognition depends on your state. For example, I think New York will recognize same-sex marriages performed out-of-state as entirely legal, even though they won't allow same-sex couples to marry in NY. If your state doesn't recognize your out-of-state marriage as legit, I think that affects things like how you can file state taxes, and your qualification for things like insurance benefits. Obviously it would be easier to cheat that system for a non-traditional hetero couple, like cousins, than a same-sex couple. It's pretty complicated.

haha to funny!!!!!:) I'm mean you gotta say that is lol!!! :D

Good-looking family you've got, there.

nishantshah 0

Well, If she is cute.. Then you should have remembered her!

you suck dude. how the F you don't know your own cousin, she knew you OP. YDI DUMB ASS

20waffleater10 0

you like to keep it in the family too!? jk that's nasty