By willstaysingle - 29/04/2014 14:18

Today, I proposed to my girlfriend of three years. I worked my ass off planning everything down to a T. It seemed perfect, until I actually proposed, at which point I was rejected and dumped, in front of my family, friends and two coworkers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 305
You deserved it 5 873

willstaysingle tells us more.

I am the Original Poster. I'm only replying because so many of you requested a follow-up and so many of you are misconceptualizing the context. From the beginning I discussed my interest in a serious relationship and expressed my eventual wish to be with her. I did not explicitly say I wanted to marry her. In common logic, there is no need for that. It is to be expected. For the ones asking about age. I am 30 years old, she is 25 years old. That was clearly not the problem. I am not seeking attention in all of this. But I will let you people know I emigrated for this girl. I made entire reservations for the family members I wished to see. I sacrificed a lot for her. I adapted to her needs. Some of you people say just because there is effort, she doesn't need to accept. While I agree, at some point, when you realize how much sacrifice is made, you are bound to love. There is no love whatsoever without sacrifice. I told her from the beginning that I am not wasting my time. If you are not sure what to do with the rope I gave you, let go early before we get to high grounds, so you could spare me a killer downfall. To all the people who felt sympathetic and gave me a "chin-up". Thank you. A lesson learned that I will teach every single one of you here. Be selfish. I have filled my heart with hate. Love and cherish. Just do not sacrifice so much that you find your life so strained you realize that you wasted years of hard work, effort and emotion. Mind your mental health.

Top comments

hippo1234 19

Aww! Don't stay single! You sound like a sweet, dedicated guy.

Comments

What I'd like to know is why she was in a relationship for 3 years if she didn't want to marry you or wasn't ready for marriage. Why be in a serious relationship at all if you don't see marriage in the future?

askullnamedbilly 33

Because some people do not want to get married. At all. That does not prevent them from having meaningful relationships, being monogamous, raising children together and staying with each other longterm. If marriage made your relationship special or stronger, do you really think the divorce rates would be so high?

I wasn't trying to imply that marriage somehow magically makes a relationship stronger. Marriage symbolizes commitment; my thinking was that if someone is not committed to a relationship then why be in one? If she is someone who just doesn't feel the need for marriage, then perhaps they didn't have enough discussion about that.

Also, if people are going to split apart, I think they will whether they're married or not. When someone says they'd prefer to just not get married, I think what they are really saying is that they believe they may break up some day, so they'd rather avoid the hassles of going through an official/legal divorce. Basically, they're afraid of commitment. If someone really wants to spend their life with someone, then why not get married?

3 years isn't really that long a time. Particurally when compared to the rest of your life. You might care about someone enough to stay with them a long time, but not see yourself spending the rest of your life with them. There are more types of relationships than speed dating and marraige.

So you consider 3 years speed dating? I'll agree 3 years is within the range of dating someone before marriage, but 3 years is more serious than a fling.. Personally I don't really see the point of being in a relationship with someone unless I think there might be a potential for a lifelong relationship.

#139 The thing is, there are so many variables we don't know. For example, we have no idea how old they are. If you start dating really young (ie 16 or 17), then there are tons of people who would feel 3 years was way too early for marriage. Not to mention it depends when you date. Some people will date throughout a period of their life (ie college) for the companionship, but never actually intend to marry. So to say she shouldn't have been in a 3-year relationship "if she didn't want to marry you or wasn't ready for marriage" is not always the case. Whether 3 years can be considered marriage-serious really depends on the people (their views) and the situation. That's why discussing marriage (or at least your vision for the relationship) before proposing is so important.

$148: I actually agree with you fully. They should have discussed marriage more (which they should have done). But I do find it a bit suspicious that she decided to break up with OP when he proposed to her. Seems like odd timing - If she had wanted to break up, she may have plenty of time to do it (although we don't know what made her want to break up or when she first thought of it). But who waits until someone proposes and says "No, actually I want to break up."? It sounds like there are several conversations they didn't have..

Maybe she hadn't really thought about marriage herself, and when faced with the question realised that she didn't want to spend the rest of her life with him? I clicked 'FYL' because this is really crappy. But this is the exact reason I think you should discuss it. That, and I wouldn't want to be proposed to in public, like you have said it would be too much pressure. If some did that to me, I don't know if I could stay with them - embarrassment, and the fact that their ideas are clearly very different to mine. Maybe she is more of a private person when it comes to this sort of thing than OP realised? This is really why people should talk about these things beforehand. It was really sweet, putting all that thought into it, but even the best intentions can be the wrong thing to do.

My point was that it's not speed dating. You said why date for three years if you're not going to get married. I was saying there are more than quick relationships(aka speed-dating) and long ones with marriage at the end. Lots of people date for years with no intention to marry.

YDI and FYL dude, never ever propose with other people there because you just don't know what's going to happen but that still really sucks. Sorry man!

avapaige1234 19

How tactless! You're better off without her OP!

Should she have said yes and gotten stuck in a relationship she wasn't sure of? Say yes and then no later? It would have been better for her to say she wanted to think about it and say no in private, but in front of his family that would have seemed like a no, and would you want to do that? Not tactless. A crappy situation, but perhaps OP is the tactless one?

Its better than sorry dude... you both lack understanding...

Next time don't try for an audience. Some people feel pressured to say yes if everyone is watching. Don't give up just yet. Give her a cooling of period and then ask her again. With just you and her in the room. Good luck.

I am so so sorry! Your girlfriend must have been very selfish to do something like that. You seem so sweet to put in all that effort. Don't give up,☺️ you can find someone who appreciates you.

I'm so sorry, OP. Still, better to find out now that it isn't going to work rather than a month before the wedding like a friend of mine. And yeah, it's never ever a good idea to propose in front of people. So much pressure. I'd have been mortified if I were her.

Attacksloth 33

I proposed to my fiancée at the place we both worked at the time, right at her cash register. This was public, but we spoke about marriage and basically came to an agreement that it would happen. Maybe you needed to communicate with her? Or maybe she was just sending you mixed messages. Regardless, three years is a lot of time to invest in someone, and I am truly sorry for you. Maybe see if you can patch things up - she might have just been surprised or had stage fright.

machern 1

Sorry OP, but I told her I would stop banging her if she ever married you. Better luck next time.