By willstaysingle - 29/04/2014 14:18

Today, I proposed to my girlfriend of three years. I worked my ass off planning everything down to a T. It seemed perfect, until I actually proposed, at which point I was rejected and dumped, in front of my family, friends and two coworkers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 305
You deserved it 5 873

willstaysingle tells us more.

I am the Original Poster. I'm only replying because so many of you requested a follow-up and so many of you are misconceptualizing the context. From the beginning I discussed my interest in a serious relationship and expressed my eventual wish to be with her. I did not explicitly say I wanted to marry her. In common logic, there is no need for that. It is to be expected. For the ones asking about age. I am 30 years old, she is 25 years old. That was clearly not the problem. I am not seeking attention in all of this. But I will let you people know I emigrated for this girl. I made entire reservations for the family members I wished to see. I sacrificed a lot for her. I adapted to her needs. Some of you people say just because there is effort, she doesn't need to accept. While I agree, at some point, when you realize how much sacrifice is made, you are bound to love. There is no love whatsoever without sacrifice. I told her from the beginning that I am not wasting my time. If you are not sure what to do with the rope I gave you, let go early before we get to high grounds, so you could spare me a killer downfall. To all the people who felt sympathetic and gave me a "chin-up". Thank you. A lesson learned that I will teach every single one of you here. Be selfish. I have filled my heart with hate. Love and cherish. Just do not sacrifice so much that you find your life so strained you realize that you wasted years of hard work, effort and emotion. Mind your mental health.

Top comments

hippo1234 19

Aww! Don't stay single! You sound like a sweet, dedicated guy.

Comments

Real love tends to go both ways. Communication is the key. Two people, who have different ideas about the future and don't clear it up, don't make a good couple and never would. Also, the sacrifices go both ways. If only one makes the sacrifices, s/he's setting themselves up for failure from the beginning; I wouldn't call that 'real love', rather it's a one-sided obsession. A rational person should take note of such warning signs long before they even consider marriage. After reading all of this, being a woman who would probably flee from a public proposal, all I can say is: from one side, YDI for even making such a proposal she probably wasn't ready for; on the other hand, you dodged a bullet there - marrying to someone seeing the world completely differently would've been a mistake. Hopefully it's a lesson to learn, OP, and some day you'll meet your soulmate. :)

sharkyisback 9

Don't worry hun you'll find someone who will appreciate the trouble you went through. Don't let one individual ruin love for you. You'll find a woman who will appreciate you not some child.

As a girl, I think it is never a good idea to propose in front of other people, it's something too intimate to be shared

WillowB47 12

She's not a bitch for not accepting his proposal. You are allowed to say no.

Relationships are over rated stay single for a while and wait and see what happens if you get the perfect girl than great but don't settle with a bitch it's better to be single than with a bitch

it could be that she just freaked and needs a bit of time?

Okay, people should just stop DOING this if they're that afraid of rejection. Look, OP, I feel bad for you, but I've seen and heard too many situations like yours. Stop proposing in a public setting, right? Find a way to talk with her alone. I mean, asking a girl to marry you in front of others really puts so much pressure on the girl; she might have freaked and said no just because of that. While her dumping you just for asking that is a bitch move, quit doing that. IMO it's best to just ask when you two are alone. (Obviously I wasn't there, I don't know exactly what happened, this is just me saying what I think.)

I'm sure she didn't dump him just because he proposed. She probably wanted to break up anyway and couldn't find the best time to do it. But I agree. Public proposals are a big no no.

So you proposed to her in front of all those people? High pressure proposals often come across as attention-whoring and if the girl is easily embarrassed she'll bail. Looks like you hit that particular jackpot, dude. FYL for getting dumped, but YDI for putting her in such a position.

I would say to try proposing again sometime in the future.

Shit happens, and that was shit! Get back up on the horse and drink past it, bro. *hugs*