By willstaysingle - 29/04/2014 14:18

Today, I proposed to my girlfriend of three years. I worked my ass off planning everything down to a T. It seemed perfect, until I actually proposed, at which point I was rejected and dumped, in front of my family, friends and two coworkers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 305
You deserved it 5 873

willstaysingle tells us more.

I am the Original Poster. I'm only replying because so many of you requested a follow-up and so many of you are misconceptualizing the context. From the beginning I discussed my interest in a serious relationship and expressed my eventual wish to be with her. I did not explicitly say I wanted to marry her. In common logic, there is no need for that. It is to be expected. For the ones asking about age. I am 30 years old, she is 25 years old. That was clearly not the problem. I am not seeking attention in all of this. But I will let you people know I emigrated for this girl. I made entire reservations for the family members I wished to see. I sacrificed a lot for her. I adapted to her needs. Some of you people say just because there is effort, she doesn't need to accept. While I agree, at some point, when you realize how much sacrifice is made, you are bound to love. There is no love whatsoever without sacrifice. I told her from the beginning that I am not wasting my time. If you are not sure what to do with the rope I gave you, let go early before we get to high grounds, so you could spare me a killer downfall. To all the people who felt sympathetic and gave me a "chin-up". Thank you. A lesson learned that I will teach every single one of you here. Be selfish. I have filled my heart with hate. Love and cherish. Just do not sacrifice so much that you find your life so strained you realize that you wasted years of hard work, effort and emotion. Mind your mental health.

Top comments

hippo1234 19

Aww! Don't stay single! You sound like a sweet, dedicated guy.

Comments

She shouldn't have waited till then to break it off. What a waste of time and money. You deserve a better girl to marry.

askullnamedbilly 33

Maybe she broke up with him because she realized they have different expectations for their relationship. He wants to get married, she doesn't. That is a pretty big issue to have different opinions on - big enough to end a relationship over. Would you still want to be in a relationship with somebody whose proposal you just had to turn down in front of their family?

Onewhosinz 8

I"m sorry, but marriage is something that should be talked about prior to any proposal. Never ask if you're not sure of the answer. And if it was discussed and she changed her mind... then that sucks and I'm sorry.

I would say really discussed maybe a hint to something, or get a feel of what they think about the relationship. If you fire the shot to a point where they know it's coming then all those extra feeling aren't there for all to witness.

Last I heard marriage proposal's are surprises, but rejection is always possible and should be kept in mind. Maybe it wasn't discussed, so what. It's supposed to be unexpected, that's the point. At least to my knowledge. Yeah, you can talk about marriage but it isn't required. And after years together, it was eventually going to happen?

askullnamedbilly 33

Why does it need to be witnessed by 'all'? If you misunderstood your partner's intentions with all those subtle hints, you're putting everyone in a horribly uncomfortable position. You're the guy whose proposal got rejected, your partner is the heartless asshole who's forced to turn you down in front of an audience, and the people watching you have no idea what to say or do. Those elaborate proposal videos may look cool on Youtube, but unless you've actually talked to your partner about where your relationship is going, do not propose in a public setting.

I agree with the not proposing in public, but there's ALWAYS a chance of being rejected. Whether it's a romantic dinner at home, or a romantic dinner at a restaurant. You never truly know if the person will say yes, even if previously discussed. Changing of the mind is definitely not uncommon. But the person proposing should also keep that in mind, keep the receipt, and make sure the ring is returnable. Just because it hasn't been discussed, doesn't mean it's not worth trying. If they say no, they say no. It was worth a shot, right?

If you have bee in a serious relationship for years, wouldn't you assume someone would propose? Not always, no. But more commonly, eventually a proposal is going to happen.

well.... look at the bright side... you have the bed all to yourself again... FYL op... hope you finde a girl that's fits perfect...

#27 I don't think him having the bed to himself is the bright side because if he wanted to sleep alone he wouldn't have proposed since he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her means he didn't want to sleep alone, however maybe the bright side is that he will find someone else in time that would like to spend the rest of their life with him.

I believe it won't hold u down. Keep your head up and a classy mature ladie will come :)

if she doesn't want to marry you she doesn't want to marry you.....her loss

So why did she wait until you proposed to dump you? That's a dick move, wow.

BeautifulChaos27 37

Maybe she was fine being in a relationship but didn't want to take the next step. She also could have been thinking about ending it prior and him asking her made her do it sooner than planned. Who knows.

Just means she was not the one! Don't worry there are more fish in the sea :] clearly you can do better!

Maybe she was surprised & overwhelmed by the situation!

Studwithproblems 8

Yes she's an ass. I love yu thoe

Hey OP, take heart. It's a shame that you were rejected publicly but it's the risk taken when you don't do a private proposal. Were you that sure she'd say yes? To people saying that she is a bitch, how childish are you? Would you rather have her marrying him when she didn't want to?