By healey16 - 03/04/2009 18:13 - Canada

Today, I left the iron and ironing board in my room. While I was at school, my mom decided to do some ironing, and did it in my room for convenience. The iron needed water, so she took a water bottle from my dresser and poured it in. It was my secret vodka stash, and the iron caught on fire. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 698
You deserved it 78 887

Same thing different taste

Top comments

not so secret if it was sitting on your dresser now was it. fail.

Zerenade 0

Wow, what a waste of a tasty beverage.

Comments

iEATdreamsx 0

ydi for having a "secret vodka stash". what are you, twelve?

#70 wins but if this was true.. for real get a better hiding place. this is dumb no one would keep a waterbottle of vodka on their dresser...???

blondiee09 0

hahahahhahahahahahhahaha. thats why you have to hide the bottle!

Wow. The commenters on this site need to read a ******* dictionary once in a while. To “hide” doesn’t only mean to physically place something out of view. It can also mean to conceal from knowledge, or to keep secret. The OP “hid” the fact that he/she had alcohol via deception, not obstruction, i.e. by disguising the vodka as water, in a water bottle, in a place where a water bottle would most commonly be found. There really wasn’t a physical hiding spot, and if there was, it was the water bottle if anything, not the dresser. The purpose of the dresser was to function as a background/camouflage i.e. a place where you wouldn’t think twice about seeing a water bottle. As the saying goes, the best kept secrets are right under your nose. Plus, water bottle on a dresser? Normal. Water bottle tucked away in some drawer or hidden behind a curtain? Sketchy, and a probable cause for inspection (i.e. by the Mom). Besides, if the OP had such a great physical location in his/her room to hide the vodka (i.e. someplace that no one would ever look for any reason), why would he/she even bother putting the vodka in a water bottle in the first place? Also, you shouldn’t really be able to smell the alcohol in vodka, unless it is really cheap. This doesn’t meant the OP had “top shelf” vodka. Absolut isn’t cheap but it’s still relatively inexpensive (i.e. compared to Grey Goose), and has a very faint smell to it. It is probable that the OP had something comparable to this. And #52, where did you get the stat that “Alcohol does not ignite in liquid form unless it is roughly 57% by volume”? Ever heard of a Flaming Sambuca? It’s only 80 proof. And to say that “Vodka is 40 per cent” is an overgeneralization. There are plenty of vodkas over 40% (80 proof). Like Absolut 100, for instance, which you also can’t smell unless you put your nose right up to it (which I doubt the OP’s mom did). Also, if you actually got that percentage (57%) from a legitimate source, you obviously didn’t read the whole thing. The percentage you are referring to came from a test that used to be conducted in Britain in the 18th century, in which British sailors would pour rum over gunpowder, and then test to see if the gunpowder ignited. If the ratio of rum to water was high enough, the gunpowder would ignite, and thus the rum was “proved.” If the gunpowder did not light, the rum was too watered-down, and was deemed “under proof.” Rum that was “proved” was defined to be 100 degrees proof (which was later calculated to be 57.15% alcohol by volume). HOWEVER, this definition held only for alcohols/liquids at 51 degrees Fahrenheit. This is key to take note of, because THE COMBUSTIBILITY OF ALCOHOL DEPENDS LARGELY ON TEMPERATURE. Alcohol that won’t light at room temperature might be extremely flammable at higher temperatures (such as when cooks are flambeying, liquors of 80 proof are considered ideal, although lower proofs will also work, i.e. wine will ignite when poured into a very hot pan). So obviously, an iron would certainly be hot enough to ignite alcohol (especially considering the fact that the boiling point of alcohol - 76 deg. - is less than that of water -100 deg.). #34: Who would have a random bottle of salt water or sugar water sitting out on their dresser?? I leave water bottles on my dresser all the time. Sometimes my friends take one if they’re thirsty. And no, they don’t smell it first… #35: The point of this FML has nothing to do with the fact that the vodka stash is gone. If you didn’t get that from reading the FML, then you’re just a moron. #59, No one said anything about becoming addicted to alcohol. #32 is just making the point that if you plan to drink in college, it might be useful to get a little experience with drinking while you’re still in high school. It is beneficial to know your drinking limits before entering an environment in which alcohol and other drugs are often prevalent and easily accessible, and in which alcohol consumption is often encouraged (i.e. at parties, during drinking games, etc.). There’s a much greater chance to go overboard with the whole drinking scene in college than there is in high school. Hundreds of deaths occur every year due to college students who didn’t realize that they had drunk too much. And it’s not about “building up your tolerance” before college. It’s about knowing yourself when you’re intoxicated – how much alcohol you can take, how your personality changes, how skewed your decisions get, etc. Everyone experiences alcohol’s effects differently. It is wise to know you how act at the different stages of intoxication, and to be aware of alcohol’s worst effects on you – and it is a bad idea to find this out for the first time in college. I am not saying that every school encourages drinking, or that everyone should drink in high school “in preparation” for college… I’m just pointing out that some good can come out of not “wait[ing] until college” to drink. #64: No, you’re the stupid one. The OP never said it was IN his/her dresser (which wouldn’t be a good hiding spot anyway – so cliché). The water bottle was most likely on top of the dresser. Finally, why do so many commenters look for someone to point the finger at? It isn’t always someone’s fault. In fact, that’s the whole irony of many of the stories on this site. No one is at fault, but they still suffer from being stuck in a shitty situation. Which sucks. So they write about it, only to find ignorant commenters try to bitch them out over insignificant and irrelevant details.

nobody drinks in high school to "see their limits" they drink. We drink because they wanna have fun at a party or if their friends or over at celebrations and such. Honestly if you were holding science experiments with alcohol to test your limits and see how you react against other people you are a nerd with no life that wouldn't get into a party in college anyway. Even if you did you would rather sit in your dorm playing Xbox360. "Today, I decided, because I have no friends and no social life to go on Fmylife.com and correct countless amounts of people and study on some pirate 57% alcohol content BS. To help my self esteem, because in the real world and online nobody likes me. FML"

damn major props to #77. they said some things that ive been wanting to say to some people for a long time but was too lazy too type it all out like that. so thank you LeTigre29 :)

hey #77... YOU HAVE NO LIFE! obviously you think you need to correct everyone. give it up i have a feeling your gay because no one uses "so cliché" anymore. and i think this little ncident was quite amusing. Thanks for the laugh.

it's not a secret stash when you leave it out on the goddamned dresser.

travitoninja99 0

that really sucks but really dude? out in the open? come on!

#77. You made a lot of good points. But.. You have no life. Fail. "Today, I spent over a half hour looking up information on an old French testing technique to find out if alcohol was combustible at 57% alcohol concentration, arguing with random people on the internet, and responding to tons of commentators. I have no life. FML."