By I hate my brother - 20/03/2016 18:53 - United States - Lafayette

Today, I just came back from Afghanistan after a 9-month tour, and my brother asked, "How many towelheads did you kill?" He then acted offended when I smacked him upside the head. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 934
You deserved it 2 006

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Isa_Marie0113 17

Thank you for your service! Sorry your brother is an insensitive and ignorant butt.

Comments

saxaddict122 14

Your brother sounds like a racist prick I agree, but I would take that over having one that didn't support you at all...

A07 48

Not entirely relevant but sure thing

In the word of your brother. How many towel heads did you kill?

I know my comment was wrong I just wanted to see if he would say. If he won't tell the the brother maybe he would tell a stranger

He was probably confused as to why you smacked him. I mean, since you joined the army you obviously don't mind killing people and dehumanizing the enemy in the way he did is extremely common amongs armed forces.

found the missing short bus passenger

Almost all of military minds killing, and I only say almost because with as many members as we have, just like with any large enough group of people some crazy people get in. Never dehumanized anyone. And many people in the military aren't grunts, plenty have jobs that try to save lives, on all sides.

Thank you so much for your service! It's truly appreciated! My dad is a Vietnam veteran and he understands how you feel on that situation.

Sorry man. Thank you for serving, and i hope your brother learns some basic human decency.

ulissey_fml 22

I would have smacked him, too. Pashtuns are awesome.

True. All the other ethnic groups there as well, let's not forget them. Afghanistan isn't homogenous.

I don't care what ethnicity they are as long as they'll feed me qabili palau. I just can't speak any Afghani language besides Pashto to ask for more, is all.

Why is everyone down voted? 99% sure I'm gonna be down voted. He probably meant it in a careless attitude kinda way. He's unemotional about it but you've seen it first hand. He was probably joking, but that's no excuse for his behavior. The problem is that you can't correct him because he seems indifferent.

I think he "corrected" him quite well, tbh. A verbal explanation would be required now, however.

nykkilynn16 7

I was wondering the same thing.

Your right, hitting him was necessary. But I don't think it taught him the right lesson. I think he was kinda joking in a sadistic way

Assuming he has seen combat or received contact is also insensitive. Asking about it in general... He went, he's back, just let him leave it all there. Side note. Afghan Theater is hella calm right now. If you assume he's been in combat and he hasn't he may feel bad about his service. Signed, a vet.

28, what about this is supposed to be excusable just because it'd be a hurt joke instead of hurtful words? Same result either way. Saying after the fact that something disgusting was intended to make people laugh doesn't mean shit when nobody's laughing and obviously wouldn't.

He didn't intend to hurt the guys feelings. That's the difference.... Are you an idiot? Joking around and insulting someone are completely different things.

Know what "good intentions" pave? Can't give someone credit for having them when the downside to their "joke" is so obvious that there's no other place this could've gone. What, did he expect his brother was about to laugh at how many people he killed? Being careless/stupid instead of malicious isn't a feat.

That's a rude question even without the slur. Killing people isn't an easy thing to talk about even in the best circumstances, because, really, it's never a good circumstance when a person has to kill another person.

I saw this video talking to veterans of any war, they spoke about what it was like to kill their first person. They barely could get 2 sentences in without crying/having to stop. Most of them thought "I just killed someone who had a family, kids probably." They had the saddest look on their faces.