By thefifthdoctor - 10/12/2013 06:04 - United States - Seattle

Today, I had to listen to fellow classmates whine about selling one of their many houses, while I can barely afford to pay for a $100 textbook. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 865
You deserved it 3 460

Same thing different taste

Top comments

JMichael 25

Stay in college OP, and someday you could be one of those many people.

Comments

EgyptianPride98 8

I read a quote once that said something like "Each person you is fighting a battle you know nothing about." So don't judge, OP. You never know what's behind that rich exterior. But I do understand what you're going through...and it really does suck. FYL

They have multiple houses?! My god what college do you go to?

It sucks but it gets better,money isn't everything!

When I was a kid, my parents invested in the property market. We bought houses, fixed them up and then resold them for profit. Then the market crashed. We had eleven properties, seven of them with houses on, and for a brief period my parents had to work nights at a fishery (gutting squid) as well as minimum wage day jobs to make it through the week. So not only is selling a house HARD WORK but maybe they are selling the house because of very unfortunate circumstance. I am too a poor university student these days, but your judgement is unnecessary.

RedPillSucks 31

This demonstrates #42s point. Not sure why either was down voted.

It's better to be the underdog. You will work hard for success and develop great character doing so, whereas they will tend to take those things for granted.

Don't bother with envy, just brush it off. Stick to those books and you'll actually earn what they have, not get it the lazy way like they probably did.

hunts19ketchup 23

You have no idea whether or not they earned their money.

I understand OP. And it's not about envy at all. I had a coworker constantly complain about her life, you know, her house was so big it took forever to clean, the trees in her backyard shaded the pool and made it too cold, she had to take two vacations to Vegas right after her Reno getaway. Meanwhile I was a single mom living in a one bedroom apt with little other than ketchup and milk in my fridge. And when I was laid off she told me she wished she could stay at home, too. But I never envied her, she was stuck up and would obviously never enjoy her luck, I learned to be grateful of what I accomplished.

100 $ for a textbook... Why is it that in the US, education is considered as a privilege instead of a basic right?

To tell the truth, $100 for a textbook isn't that bad compared to some of them.

TheDrifter 23

Education is a right. College degrees on the other hand are unnecessary for the vast majority of jobs and are viewed as a necessity only by entrenched academia, unfamiliar with how the rest of society functions.

Education becomes a privilege when it is that obnoxiously expensive. 100$ for a textbook and this not even being the most expensive one is just ridiculous. Education should be accessible to anyone who wants it and will study hard to achieve it. It shouldn't be a matter of who can or cannot afford it, who can tie themselves to extremely expensive loans or wasting time in dead end part time jobs.

Whoever set the whole college system up is a bastard.

Look around online you can find them cheeper on eBay or Amazon...or if it comes to it take out a loan...