End student debt

By Reluctant Scholar - 08/03/2022 20:00 - United States - Bloomington

Today, I'm in a US college. I could've gone into a trade or internship, but no one listened. Now, while my parents brag to their friends that their child has a degree, I'll probably be spending the rest of life in crippling debt, sleeping on the side of the road, and begging strangers for table scraps. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 228
You deserved it 472

Same thing different taste

Top comments

they couldn't force you to go. you went because at the end of the day you choose to

Send them the bill. They wanted you to go to college, they can pay for it. Conversely, you could drop out to do what you really want to do.

Comments

xxWTFxx1981 23

Umm.... If you are in college you are 18. So it's not your parents fault you didn't have what it takes to stand up to them and do what you wanted in life.

Hey, at least your sign will be impeccably punctuated. Certainly, you will recognize that "will work for food" is a sentence fragment and I trust you will honor us with a pronoun.

Send them the bill. They wanted you to go to college, they can pay for it. Conversely, you could drop out to do what you really want to do.

they couldn't force you to go. you went because at the end of the day you choose to

I was going to say that if you got a degree in something worthwhile and avoided excessive debt, it would pay off in the end. Them I saw that you were in Bloomington, and while IU and Bloomington are pretty, I have never met someone who went there as an undergrad and got a marketable degree. I quite literally knew a guy there triple majoring and none of the 3 had the slightest job prospects. I think it was Philosophy, Art History and Literature (and he didn’t want to teach.)

It's weird that skilled labor isn't the direction parents send their kids. I went college but I'm paying contractors more than I make in a week for a day of their time in labor cost alone. Sure is hard on your body but at $1,500+ a day they can retire young.

College ain't that bad, average BA graduate has 32k education debt and makes 64k a year. I don't make amazing money but I'm glad to be out of callcenters and retail jobs.