By Anonymous - 14/01/2015 07:18 - United States - Las Vegas

Today, I had to explain to my grandmother why, "What a nice singing voice! He doesn't sound black at all!" is not a compliment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 058
You deserved it 3 055

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Grandparents always have the best racist compliments. My grandpa loves everyone, but hates every race. So he always says that person is a good insert racial epithet here after they leave.

I once had to tell my mom that saying "you're out of your cotton picking mind" was racist.

Comments

At this point I've given up trying to distinguish people's race solely on their voices. I've been wrong too many times before.

Well, sometimes the search for racism goes a little bit too far. "Black" voices exist, it's not racism, it is the reality. There are even white boys and girls who have "black" voices like Amy Winehouse.

Psycho_Babydoll 26

That's true, but I think the problem was that grandma described the voice as nice BECAUSE it didn't sound black. As in, if they sounded black, they wouldn't sound 'nice'. That's how it reads to me.

But maybe that's because she doesn't love that kind of voice, even if the way chosen to express the concept was a bit unappropriated.

Not sure if OPs grandma is racist or just thinks out loud. It's not exactly a compliment but she may not have meant it in a negative way. Just that he doesn't sound how she expected... Old people have a funny way of saying things since they grew up in a very different time.

#34: Society can be somewhat touchy when it comes to certain characteristics, huh? If I said "I don't like women who are blonde", nobody would bat an eye; If I said "I don't like women who are black", I'd probably be called a racist immediately. The difference between violent bigotry and arbitrary preferences can get lost with some people...

geren 15

Well, hair color can be changed. Skin color cannot.

That doesn't make one preference better than the other.

Well... I guess that is kind of a progress... :/

And that's reminder that there's still progress to be made. Hope she was able to understand, OP.

mom_of_5 10

I've said stuff like this before. Well like that song all about that bass totally thought she was black. It's hard to explain something about tone or style makes you think what race they are.

True, but she was implying that sounding black is a bad thing