By Chels - 04/12/2009 06:27 - United States

Today, I had an elderly man come to my cash register. His total came to $15.50 He handed me $5 in nickels and dimes. A full roll of quarters. Before I could take the roll, he bust it open, making me count it. After that was all counted he was 50 cents short. So he handed me a $10 bill. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 135
You deserved it 2 939

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hope you gave the ****** his change in pennies.

KingHumanity 0

It's the little old ladies in front of me at the checkout counting exact change at a rate of 1 coin / 2 seconds that make me want to strangle them.

Comments

FYL because you've been charged w/ manslaughter, amiright?

that's when you take the change first then the difference from the ten dollar bill and give him change from the 10 bill BACK in the change he just gave you! confusing? YEA that's what he gets!

Sounds like he did it on purpose just to make you count it and see if you'd make a fuss.

Islander_fml 5

I work at a grocery store during the holidays, and let me tell you: I ******* HATE OLD PEOPLE. Old people are little shit ***** that move slowly, hold up the damn line, and can't understand what's happening with the order, despite having 60 ******* years of practice. They complain the most, are the most irritable, and can't seem to realize they're only making it worse for themselves by treating others like shit. This is a shame for good old people, because when they come through my line I already hate them, even before they open their mouths.

Ha ha. funny (and not funny) and true.

#64, we cashiers have to deal with the stupidest ******* people, one after another, day in and day out. I think I can speak for everyone who has to take your damn money, put it in a little box, and give you money back when I say **** YOU. I have to deal with some rude, stupid, and flat-out infuriating people. But you know what? It's my damn job to smile, pretend I'm happy to see you, have you pay, cash out coupons, and use your damn gift cards. I've had people scream at me because I denied them paying with a credit/debit card due to not having ID (company policy) , I've had people throw food at me and waste good products thinking that I gave them the wrong order, so excuse the **** outta me when someone like you comes up and I'm in a bad mood because the fucktard before you that I had to deal with was too damn stupid to just give me a ******* five dollar bill instead of bitching at me because I couldn't break $100. My job's getting me through college and I'm starting to talk a leadership position with my boss, otherwise I would ******* leave in a heartbeat. Thank God for guests that actually understand my frustration because while waiting in line they witness what bullshit I have to put up with. In short, number sixty four, go. To. Hell. kthnx.

PS - Don't ******* tell me, "Well your job isn't the hardest one out there." I KNOW THAT. But being a cashier DOES make you very, VERY anti-social towards everyone.

@ pendatic: If you do not know what you're talking about, would you please shut up? Being a cashier might not seem to be very hard or tough but just wait until you're one and have to help customers. Some are nice, that's true. But some treat you like you're no one and you just live to serve. Some will get mad and threaten to get you fired or anything else because you simply are not allowed to do something and they can't accept that. Don't judge before you've been a cashier yourself. Seriously. You have /no/ idea what happens once you get out of that line. And face it, how long are you in there? Fifteen minutes at the most. Newsflash - we don't quit working the moment you step out of that line. Things happen that you might not ever see but we do. So think before you judge.

two years working as a casher made me realise what I want to do for the rest of my life. I am now a Marine, my job is to make shit dead.

OK. I think everyone in here is a little off. In the place of change... I've had to count $120 dollars in change, and then have the guy change his mind 5 minutes later and return the item. I was the only one, and yes there was a line. And I highly doubt people are in the back yelling at you because of someone else. And ya know, if it's necessary, you can usually get out of a bad situation by just TALKING with the customer. If the person behind has a smaller transaction, mention it to the person ahead of you. If they're gonna be a dick, then they will leave, or if you believe you can't let that slide, then just throw out a comment to the people in the back saying it will be a moment and thank them for their patience, regardless of whether they have it. This is all simple common sense, if someone's gonna be a dick, they're gonna be a dick, no matter what. **** them. You can't say that, but it doesn't matter because they won't get any special treatment, so it's just as bad to them. Besides, don't assume everyone's an asshole, or treat the customer behind an asshole like crap. If you do, you're an asshole. You all want to say being a cashier makes you 'more sympathetic'? It doesn't. You just are or you aren't. You can always change, but don't assume someone taking that job will make them so. If anything, it will just make them a terrible cashier. 80% of the time, people are just going to mirror you. If you're nice, friendly, and talkative, they'll be happy regardless of how long they had to wait. Don't act like a little spat in a line is an FML, trust me, every "Customer Experience" FML story, I can top ten fold.

sugarbear0727 19

I agree with you. I'm always nice to customers, no matter what job I had. I got praised as a waitress and got huge tips because I actually took the time to explain the menu, ask preferences on their orders and all that. As a cashier, I'm friendly and ask how they're doing. Sometimes they're in a bad mood and don't talk, I don't let that get under my skin, I just continue to do my job and get them home so they can relax. I've been told that I'm one of the happiest people a person has met, dozens of times. I always try to work with each customer to make sure that they leave my store as a happy customer.

He did it coz he wanted to have some social contact with someone.