By Chels - 04/12/2009 06:27 - United States

Today, I had an elderly man come to my cash register. His total came to $15.50 He handed me $5 in nickels and dimes. A full roll of quarters. Before I could take the roll, he bust it open, making me count it. After that was all counted he was 50 cents short. So he handed me a $10 bill. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 135
You deserved it 2 939

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hope you gave the ****** his change in pennies.

KingHumanity 0

It's the little old ladies in front of me at the checkout counting exact change at a rate of 1 coin / 2 seconds that make me want to strangle them.

Comments

youthink_fml 0

Suck it up. That's your job. It's not like being a cashier is that tough.

Sure--but imagine being in a situation where you're painstakingly counting money because of some senile old person in your lane. You're the only lane open--and now a line is forming of people yelling angrily at you. By the way, you can't yell "**** off!" at the line, because at least one person will complain and get you fired. Being a cashier isn't tough physically, but a trial of endurance mentally. If you'd still like to do prove this wrong, please, by all means, go to the grocery store and apply.

Apparently youve never been a cashier before because it is a very difficult job. And usually its people like you that dont think its difficult that make it the worst. You have people that try and scam you out of anything and everything and then if you fall for it you get fired. Also people treat you like crap no matter what especially when they cant read the price or lie to you. It sucks because you see just how bad people in your community are. Also people next time you have a good cashier or your service was good thank someone for once cause we try and we cant see everything so dont take it all out on the person behind the cash register.

agreed. i always hate it when my mother bitches at some poor cashier because she hasn't been one in over 20 years. working in retail really makes you sympathetic to this sort of thing. people need to chill out when they're standing in line, and not take it out on the person who's trying to help each customer equally.

Reyo 2

One time, my boss made some bullshit "No *contraban object* rule on hats. I shit you not, he said "Anyone walking in with a hat needs to take it off." For the first half of my shift, I had to sit there and tell people to take their hats off. And yes, 70% of them got testy and asked "Why do you care if I wear my hat inside". I couldn't say "I don't" because then I'd be fired for "going against the new rule". That's where I learned to not get pissed off at the guys who tell you not to do something since it could be the case where they don't agree with it. Anyway, my Dad likes to yell at those guys. I told him "You know, mostof the time, those guys aren't the ones who came up with the rule they're inforcing." He said "I know, I just like yelling at them". My dad's a massive ass, and you, # 11, are just like my Dad.

LOL. You try working as a cashier for a few years then tell me you still like to be around people. xD

joy1523 0

stop being such a dick. my first job when i was 17 was a cashier, and while i have had many other more "important" or "tough" jobs in the years since then, i would NEVER want to go back to being a cashier because of all the inconsiderate assholes i encountered. everyone's job is "hard" but its a different type of difficult to deal with a wide variety of rude people when your job is to take it and smile or get fired. service jobs are the worst, anyone who has worked any kind of job like this (cashier, retail, waitress, hostess, caterer, etc) knows, and personally i have a lot of respect for the people in these jobs because i know how crappy it can be.

sugarbear0727 19

Not all cashier experiences are bad. I actually love my job. Sure I get the occasional ass, and people do try to scam us on prices and such, but I live in a small town, so it doesn't happen too much. I've also worked in fast food, and I've also been a waitress. I've loved every job I've had. I guess I've just been lucky. (:

Cwoodbury 0

don't know where your from but here a roll of quarters is $20. so how could he be 50 cents short.

Where I'm at a roll of quarters is $10

Hilarious! I usually only do that when I really dislike the service at the store, or to get back at the clerk :-D So confess, what did you do?

quarters are $10 so im sure if your a cashier youve been short quite a bit

I've helped cashiers, I've even worked behind the cash register before so I know how people can be. Some people can be straight up asses... just for the sake of being one knowing that the person behind the register can't say anything back without getting fired. Then there are those that will blatantly lie about a price to try to get a deal, try to get a sale that is non existent, use fake coupons, all that crap. Then those that like to pour out all this change and painstakingly count each and every penny. It's nerve wrecking. Working behind the register is a true test of patience. If you don 't have it... you won't make it.

Exactly! People are so rude, because they know it's the only person they can be an a-hole to and get away with it. A lot of miserable people try to take their misery out on you. I guess you can try to be positive and just laugh about it later. Having been a cashier, I know it sucks, but it's your job. And at least he was nice, he opened the roll to show you it was full. A lot of cashiers get scammed because there's only coins on each side and the middle is empty. He had good intentions.

sugarbear0727 19

When we get rolls of change, we weigh them to make sure they're full and have every coin that's supposed to be there.

a192837465 0

lol he bust it open; more Like he bust his penis out

Ah, the list of ways to get kicked out of walmart... *smirk* (I'm not saying that the OP is from walmart, but that's one of the things on the list) That does suck though.