By abcdefghijkl1233 - 29/10/2013 13:23 - United Kingdom - Oldham

Today, I had a job interview that I was quite nervous about. During the interview, I struggled to get my words out and the interviewer angrily told me to, "Get on with it." I continued to struggle and was later kicked out for wasting their time. I have a stutter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 870
You deserved it 4 114

abcdefghijkl1233 tells us more.

Thank you for those of you who left kind comments, those of you who left comments of the other kind probably don't understand. I didn't fully expect my stutter to get in the way of the interview so much, but combined with my nervousness it gradually got worse throughout. After the way I was treated I realised it wasn't a place I would want to be at so I left without a fight. Also I'd like to thank you for the help methods some of you said, I've been trying to improve it and I'm definitely going to try them, thanks again :) In the future I will inform them beforehand! #8 Aha, good ol' game of Pictionary, never fails to start arguments!

Top comments

Aww, I know how that feels. Next time, inform them that you have a stutter. It's what I do, and most people are understanding.

That interviewer is a jerk! You were not wasting their time and they should have more patience, especially if they are in HR.

Comments

suing is not the answer to everything. Plus you can't exactly sue someone for being an impatient ass, as much as you might want to. OP you're better off not having a boss like that. Keep trying and you'll get something better.

I hope you took a shit on their cars in the parking lot on your way out.

SuperMew 22

That is a great idea. I have never seen the King's Speech, but it might help my cousin.

Thank you for those of you who left kind comments, those of you who left comments of the other kind probably don't understand. I didn't fully expect my stutter to get in the way of the interview so much, but combined with my nervousness it gradually got worse throughout. After the way I was treated I realised it wasn't a place I would want to be at so I left without a fight. Also I'd like to thank you for the help methods some of you said, I've been trying to improve it and I'm definitely going to try them, thanks again :) In the future I will inform them beforehand! #8 Aha, good ol' game of Pictionary, never fails to start arguments!

I had a stutter for years, and had to go to speech therapy to get rid of it. It's rough, and I sympathize. Best of luck to you!

Surely the interviewer could have seen you struggling to get your words out and realised that you have a stutter.

DeoVolente 13

I'm just curious about what kind of job you were being interviewed for, OP.

For me it was stutter or substitute. If I had particular issues with words, I'd use different ones. And this was all sparked by one incident in primary school. When I was in grade 3 and learning German one part of our assessment was a 10 minute conversation with the teacher, in German - obviously. Unfortunately for me, on the day I was due to do this assessment, our normal German teacher was sick so a substitute was in; no one had told them that I had a stutter and being just a kid, I had no idea that I should tell them anyway. Long story short: I failed due to them thinking I was incapable of fluently speaking German thanks to my stutter. It took a written letter from my everyday teacher, German teacher and speech therapist before I got a second chance to be graded on that particular piece of assessment and even then the substitute still thought I was faking it. After that instance I made it clear to anyone relevant that I had a stutter. Even in high school, even though my stutter was essentially gone, I did give some of my teachers warning that it may resurface at random times without warning.

#63. I love that, "I still say he's faking." Why not just sympathize and let you re-test, I mean really? Is it so hard to let a young kid retake a test with: 1.) Your everyday teacher already knowing about your stutter. 2.) A different teacher, tested you, without knowledge. and 3.) You giving them a note from your SPEECH THERAPIST. Sorry sub, but you're not a real teacher for a reason. Qualified for exams or not, they aren't a teacher, and thus should have no real say in the matter. I have a slight speech problem, it's not a stutter, but I get "tongue tied" in high stress situations, and my brain doesn't meet my mouth right. When publicly speaking I have to make sure I say exactly what is written or it will come out all jumbled up. It use to happen often, with me being shy, but now it only happens when me and my hubby are teasing one another. I really don't think it has a name, probably because it isn't bad enough to bother my usual everyday life. But it sure is a problem to me. If it happened just one or twice a year or so I wouldn't call it a problem. But every time, I'm nervous or stressed? Huge issue. Sorry about the novel.

Sorry OP, interviewer sounds like a bitch anyways, glad to see you're looking at it in a positive way though

I've had issues with speech ever since I could talk. Whenever I present in class, I get really bad anxiety and I either stutter or talk really fast so I could get it over with. I'm fine in talking in a class discussion.

one of my uncles has a stutter and only me and my mom understand because we talk to him the most frequently.

crazytwinsmom 25

@66 my mind gets ahead of my mouth sometimes when I'm talking, especially when nervous. I have to focus to keep them in sync.

ryuujie 6

i feel you. i used to have a talking problem. it wasnt that im mute, i just didnt like talking because i'd stutter over words i wasnt familer with. (did not talk alot as a baby, and growing up was just EXTREMELY shy)

mzdaisylynn 12

This job was not meant to be. You will find a job with patient and understanding people. Keep your chin up, something great will come along soon!

Sweetpea22 14

I have a nervous stutter. I feel your pain OP

The interviewer should've understood your stutter. Sorry, OP.

cryssycakesx3 22

sometimes stutters are hard to understand...

Iguanadon 14

he meant the interviewer should of understood he had a stutter.

thegreycat_fml 12

Can't OP report them for this?

You should have told them u have a stutter and made them feel bad!