By SorryIDontMatchStandardSizes - 02/09/2016 04:06 - United States

Today, I received my uniform for culinary school. I'm 5'4" and 110 lbs, and during sizing even an XS uniform swam on me. On the other hand, I need huge shoes for my size 10 feet. Apparently, the school decided to ignore my sizing sheet and simply give me standard medium uniforms and size 8 shoes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 667
You deserved it 1 121

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You can't perform very easily in the kitchen when your clothes (especially sleeves) are that big! You could cut a finger off! Also I'm pretty sure that if the shoes are that small then you probably won't even be able to get them on. So go in with your feet hanging out of your shoe, you sleeves pulled over your hands and your trousers dragging on the floor and just see if they won't give you a re-order

LostInTheZone11 29

I feel your pain. Often in that slim grey area of too big for kid's clothes and too small for adult's.

Comments

LostInTheZone11 29

I feel your pain. Often in that slim grey area of too big for kid's clothes and too small for adult's.

That's how my sister is with shoes. She used to be able to wear boys' sizes, but at some point her feet changed. Now she has to try on several different sizes whenever she buys shoes, because most normal sizes don't fit quite right.

Guess casual wear shall be what will fix this issue, temporary. Some proper bitching about ignoring your instructions should do the actual trick.

hellobobismyname 24

I agree. Especially with the shoes! They expect you to work in a kitchen with shoes that are 2 sizes smaller? That's just sadistic. I hate when you aren't given the right size of uniform. Same thing happened to me at my old job. Gave me a size medium in men's when I'm a small/extra small in women's. Then they made fun of me for looking sickly and way too skinny. Actually asked "are you sure you don't have cancer?" Dammit, if a place requires uniforms, better stock a wide range of sizes and actually give the right sizes to everyone! OP, just wear casual clothes and make a stink about it. Ask them how they'd like to stuff their feet in a smaller shoe and wear a tent while they're at it.

I'm also in Culinary school like OP (actually Pastry school, but its very similar). Culinary school is VERY strict. There is no "casual wear" when you have your kitchen classes, if you don't have your uniform on for class, you are not allowed to enter the kitchen and you lose all points for that day. End of story.

hellobobismyname 24

#9 Then it is the school's responsibility to provide the proper size for the student. Sure, they can be strict, but not when they provide shoes two sizes smaller and expect them to come to class and be in pain for over 8 hours of standing. That's just crazy.

Strict or not I would show up wearing whatever the hell I thought was most inappropriate and I would refuse to leave until someone in charge had agreed to correct their mistake. She's paying to be there so she deserves to be given a proper fitting uniform. No excuses.

If you pay money to attend the school they should at the very less make sure your uniform and shoes fit properly

Garnetshaddow 30

I know how you feel. The last job I started with a uniform was pretty embarrassing. The manager tossed me a shirt and left. I couldn't check it because I was taking computer training. He gave me a ladies medium... I wear a unisex large. Most people assume that because I'm short, I wear a small top. My boobs are WAY too big for women's clothing. (Odd right?) and I'm a little overweight. People should really ask and pay attention to clothes sizes. It's humiliating when things don't fit.

For the non-Americans among us: 162cm and 50kg. You're welcome. I don't do shoe sizes though.

PePziNL 20

Dont bother: even Europe itself has like 4 different measurements for shoes. But thank you very much!

A size 10 is about a 42-44 European, and just a 10 Australian. Huge for such a short person!

You can't perform very easily in the kitchen when your clothes (especially sleeves) are that big! You could cut a finger off! Also I'm pretty sure that if the shoes are that small then you probably won't even be able to get them on. So go in with your feet hanging out of your shoe, you sleeves pulled over your hands and your trousers dragging on the floor and just see if they won't give you a re-order

I would like to see that. And yes, please do this - you actually don't have much of a choice :/

I'm a chef and I personally would rather have my chef coat a size larger than needed, I roll up the sleeves and my boobs are huge and tight fitting chefs coat also hold in all your body heat and makes you sweat 1000x more in a kitchen that's easily anywhere from 110-120 degrees at any given point.

but the XS was already a size too big. this was three sizes too big

I understand how you feel OP, I started Pastry school two days ago and my uniform isn't the most comfortable either. My shoes are the worst though. I tried on 3 pairs: way too tight, a bit too tight, or basically clown shoes. A bit too tight was my best option.. While I wear them, my toes randomly go completely numb, then I regain feeling, then they hurt like hell, then go numb again. Its not fun. I would talk to your instructors and/or your advisor. My advisor told me that we can buy different shoes they just have to be a particular type of shoe. Also chances are you won't get a refund for the shoes you already have. Good Luck OP! :)

That is actually inhumane that you have to endure that. WTF. That can cause medical problems IMMEDIATELY, not to mention the long term harm. Why is that even allowed?

finalyearsofhate 22

Stop wearing those shoes immediately. Any steel-toe boot should work just fine. You can cause permanent nerve damage that way. Your body is warning you.

*UPDATE* (incase anyone is still looking at this) I did in fact buy new shoes, I bought them a week after I made this post. My feet still kill me after class, but that's because we're standing for 6 hours baking.. BUT it is still 100x better that it was before, now it's just the bottoms of my feet that hurt, before it was my toes too from them basically being crushed..

Those are all my exact sizes. I'm really creeped out now 0.o

You shouldn't be. There's billions of people in the world. so assuming that's true there has to be people with the same body type as you. Also there's so many people in the world that there is at least one exact copy of you going around. From same body type to same face to hair type.

You are not alone, I have been there, we shpuld make our voice be heard so more clothes of our measurements are made.

I'm sure this could be a simple fix if you talked to the dean or cooking instructor in charge. They wouldn't want you wearing something that doesn't fit properly and could cause problems while in the kitchen.