By Anonymous - 07/07/2009 05:46 - United States

Today, I found out that my father, who is divorced from my mother, has set up a lawsuit against her and that I am required to go to court and testify against her as a witness. I've tried to keep neutral for six years, and I'll go to jail if I don't show up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 71 543
You deserved it 3 318

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ouch. Just say you're staying neutral in the court

Despite the OP having no control over the situation, there are still YDI votes...

Comments

ravennaromance 0

Yeah, FYL for knowing completely nothing about YOUR U.S. legal system. When you get subpoenaed you have to tell the truth or you'll go to jail as well. So tell the truth. You shouldn't have to bad mouth your mamma unless it's the truth.

Maybe the OP misunderstood something and it wasn't actually a subpoena but rather a summon=just a notice to appear? It seems rather odd to me that they would throw you into jail for not appearing in some sort of civil case that's most likely just some stupid crap that's only between the parents anyway... But then again I'm German and some stuff going on in the States is just way too absurd for me to even begin to believe ;) In Germany you do have to show up for court, but you NEVER have to testify against yourself OR your relatives if you don't want to, not even if they're accused of murder...

vivastar 0

Or don't go on principle and go to jail. That should really pump some guilt into your dad, hell, you could probably get a nice new car out of that situation.

SEPHARAD 0

Just be neutral and tell the truth. That's all that's required of you in court.

rafaelaugusto94 0
mojo4395 0

If it's a civil case, I don't know if you technically have to testify. It's not a criminal case, so I don't know what the rules are.

amandawashere 0

plead the 5th dumbass. then you do/say absolutely nothing and you can maintain respect from both of your parents.

Tell the truth and let them know you've been trying to stay out of it for 6 years.

Unless you're personally accused of something, you aren't REQUIRED to testify in court. You can refuse to be a witness. I don't know if that's problematic for you also, or might constitute taking sides from your father's perspective, but it's an option. You won't go to jail for it, but you should refuse the witness stand from the start, not say okay but then fail to show up.

This is awesome - now this guy is saying that the only time you HAVE to testify is if YOU are accused of something. Uh...what? Tell ya what - there are enough wannabe lawyers on here. One of you geniuses please provide us with the right case or rule or precedent or whatever that will prove your point. Until then..

Congratulations, swagmonkey, you have it precisely backwards.

letitbe56 0

Am I the ONLY ONE who ever had to take US History? Seriously people, did you all sleep through high school? The 5th Amendment only applies if you are being asked to answer potentially incriminating questions ABOUT YOURSELF. It doesn't apply to family. The OP can't plead the 5th.

JustCallMeCloud 0

I plead the 5th against your response.

LysssNysss 1

There is a law somewhere that says people can't testify against their parents. I took Civics this year and that's what my teacher said, so i'm just going by what he said. I'm pretty sure you don't have to testify against your mom, because there should be a law protecting you against that. Then again, my teacher is stupid, and he tells us bullshit because he's angry we have a democrat president.

That only applies to spouses and a few other cases. Not parents/children. http://www.thelaw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-478.html