By Anonymous - 07/07/2009 05:46 - United States

Today, I found out that my father, who is divorced from my mother, has set up a lawsuit against her and that I am required to go to court and testify against her as a witness. I've tried to keep neutral for six years, and I'll go to jail if I don't show up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 71 543
You deserved it 3 318

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ouch. Just say you're staying neutral in the court

Despite the OP having no control over the situation, there are still YDI votes...

Comments

You need a lawyer. Get one, and do exactly what they say. Also, don't get one with the help of your mother. Yours needs to be independent from her counsel.

You Have The Right to Remain Silent! Use it!

Have your lawyer contact their lawyer and remind them that you'll be the one choosing their nursing home.

dyingstart 0

Please, please, please see a lawyer, even if you're just asking for legal advice. Good luck

I thought you wouldn't have to testify cuz you're too personally involved? I dunno, pretty much all I know about court cases is what I've learned from Jodi Picoult books, and I'm pretty sure they can't force you :/

that's funny, because the only thing I know about medicine I learned from Dr. Seuss books and I'm pretty sure you shouldn't hop on pop. I dunno about you, but if I wanted someone to testify about something, I'd want they to have been PERSONALLY INVOLVED In it.

Jessaly_fml 0

That really sucks, parents get ******* immature when it comes to divorce...

The problem is though that if he tells the exact truth and does his darndest to favor neither side they'll probably BOTH come down on him going "omg why did you tell them that???!11!1/ Do you hate me?" "Well mummy/daddy, in this country we have a thing called "telling the truth to court judges"" probably won't cut it.

You have to go, yes. That doesn't mean you have to say what your dad wants you to say. Tell them that you don't think your mom did anything wrong or whatever.