By Jason - 31/10/2017 04:00

Today, I found out that my best friend's dad used my internet connection to make threats online. I'm going to have to go to court for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 308
You deserved it 265

Same thing different taste

Top comments

“Hey, I’m here to hang out! I brought my dad, but don’t mind him. So, anyway, what’s yo—yes, dad, I’m asking—what’s your WiFi password?”

Lobby_Bee 17

If they can trace the threats to your location, they can trace which device it was sent from. It won't be yours.

Comments

“Hey, I’m here to hang out! I brought my dad, but don’t mind him. So, anyway, what’s yo—yes, dad, I’m asking—what’s your WiFi password?”

Lobby_Bee 17

If they can trace the threats to your location, they can trace which device it was sent from. It won't be yours.

ViviMage 38

I work in IP. I had my entire home account suspended for a spambot. I asked which device and my own company I work for/get services from and was told "it came from my IP, they don't know which device, but I'm responsible for it because it was on my network." Turns out it was my roommate's media server.

You should tell the judge you’ll kick his ass if he doesn’t believe that it wasn’t you who made the threats. The justice system loves irony.

ohsnapword 21

An IP address alone might not be enough to prove anything.

ViviMage 38

This is why you lock your WiFi down and do not let anyone you don't trust on the WiFi. If they made threats, downloaded torrents/movies, spammed the network, or other things against the TOS of your service, you are responsible for damages. Oh, and the legal action as well for the threats. The IP address leads to your house.

I trust my best friends parents, so I'm sure OP did also.

You're entitled to see all evidence against you. See if you can find out when the threats were posted. You might have an aliby if you were at work or something.

your best friend wouldn't be Kyle Broflovski would he? skamkhunt42 almost got me too