By Anonymous - 07/07/2009 05:46 - United States

Today, I found out that my father, who is divorced from my mother, has set up a lawsuit against her and that I am required to go to court and testify against her as a witness. I've tried to keep neutral for six years, and I'll go to jail if I don't show up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 71 543
You deserved it 3 318

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ouch. Just say you're staying neutral in the court

Despite the OP having no control over the situation, there are still YDI votes...

Comments

zee209 0

Ouch! That's ****** up of your dad for doing that too!

For the love of jesus you can only plead the 5th when what you say will incriminate yourself not just whenever you don't feel like talking

LegndNikko 0

No reason for you to got to jail if you don't go. I wouldn't go, that's me.

What do you mean "no reason to go to jail if you don't go"? If you fail to appear a date set by a court ordered subpoena you'll likely have a bench warrant out for your arrest for contempt of court or a fine.

Just tell them the truth and get it over with.

Is it possible to show up, but not testify? You could say that you choose not to take part on either side... I'm not familiar with anything to do with the court's rules so err... Then again, you could go and just tell the truth.

stringoffail 0

The subpeona says you have to show up and tell the truth. It doesn't say you have to badmouth your mother. A legal representative who is presenting a witness will rarely ask a question of you if he or she doesn't already know what you're going to say. Which means if you say "I don't feel comfortable taking sides or badmouthing my mother, so I'd rather not take the stand." or better yet, talk to your mother's council so at least you can take both sides. (I am not a lawyer, consult a professional for legal advice.) I don't know why I make suggestions in the comments. I've never seen an OP reply back, so I'm pretty sure they don't read them.

It depends on the situation whether the dad is being an asshole or not, we don't know what the child will be testifying but by the wording "testify against her" it looks like the child knows the mother has done something the courts would disapprove of. It is harsh to be dragged into a court case but sometimes it is also right and at least this way the mother can't reasonably get mad over it. OP: Just tell the truth.

isn't there a law over there that says u don't have to testify when it's about some random crap and about ur parents ? i mean, it's not like she killed someone, right ? or ... you can just tell them the truth, what's gonna happen ? did she do something wrong ? just tell them how you feel !

can't you just say that you won't be able to provide an unbiased opinion?

I believe that it's optional, if you don't want to be a witness you don't have to.

Don't be ridiculous. Have you no concept of how a subpoena works? It means you MUST show up, MUST testify and in court you MUST tell the truth. There is no way out of this. Anyone who is subpoenaed has no choice but to submit themselves to the court. He has to go. It's the law.

Exactly. Supoena means "under penalty". As in, you don't appear, you pay for it with legal penalties.

nobody said he was being subpoenaed. most likely his dad is threatening jal as a bluff. no judge is going to subpoena a kid to settle a divorce arguement or any civil case

Hoax_fml 0

The OP found out he was required to go to court and testify. Sounds like a subpoena to me. Judges will do whatever they damn well please.