By Anonymous - 07/07/2009 05:46 - United States

Today, I found out that my father, who is divorced from my mother, has set up a lawsuit against her and that I am required to go to court and testify against her as a witness. I've tried to keep neutral for six years, and I'll go to jail if I don't show up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 71 543
You deserved it 3 318

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ouch. Just say you're staying neutral in the court

Despite the OP having no control over the situation, there are still YDI votes...

Comments

that sucks, but just tell the truth and leave it up to the judge/jury to pick a side.

three things: 1. your dad is a ******* asshole. 2. tell your dad off and tell your mom you are really sorry but she has to understand that jail will ruin your life. 3. if youre really tormented by this don't go and before the court date tell you're dad that he has to pay your bail. Or your mom might be willing to do it since she would kind of owe you.

buttercup707 0

Just tell the judge that u r neutral and don't say anything against either of them.

...there is no situation where you have to speak. You have the right to remain silent.

That's when you're being arrested. OP is not being arrested, the circumstances do not apply.

lol... yeah, you have the right to remain silent in a jail cell until you choose to speak. OP please don't listen to these ppl w/ their bad legal advice!!

Just plead the 5th if the questions go too far.

Definitely get a lawyer. The court will probably provide one for you, for free. They will help protect your interests, and figure out what to say.

Colby_Colbert 0

well just tell the truth & you'll be ok. if sum1 is at fault for doing sumthing wrong, well, then they're wrong

ithedarkknight 0

your life cant be that bad you live in hawaii! girls in bikinis nice weather beaches everywhere lol surfs up dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is obviously untrue, unless your mother is being tried for being a serial killer, major drug importer or other such grand jury criminal civil action, you cannot be compelled to testify against your mother. Better luck with your next story.

You can be forced to testify in any trial, civil or criminal