By disfordiploma - 25/03/2009 04:12 - United States

Today, I found out that I'm failing this semester because I've missed too many classes. I've missed the classes because I've been having panic attacks, a symptom of my anxiety disorder. I got the anxiety disorder because I was so afraid of failing school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 108 287
You deserved it 28 264

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Smoke some weed. That will help with the anxiety. Also, realise that there is more to life then good grades. They help sure but they are not the be all and end all. And life really begins after you finish school. Not during.

Speak with your school's disability services. I've had the same thing happen to me before, and it ish totally not cool.

Comments

Please go to your school's Paul Menton Centre (if that's what your school calls it), or whatever alternative centre on campus for differently abled students. They can help you. Don't let the way it sounds stop you--I've done that, and it is so not worth it. I have what some doctors think is arthritis and others suspect is fibromyalgia, which very much affects my ability to perform at school, and the PMC has helped me greatly. Good luck.

you know, you don't have to actually pop pills to feel better. at school, my anxiety flew out of control too. my doctor gave me xanax, and to be honest...just having the bottle there made me feel reassured. i knew that if i needed it, it would be there. and honestly, i never took a single one. i still have a bottle on my shelf. always just in case. but my anxiety is hugely better, almost completely out of control.'

With a note from doctor about sickness u should be excused.... or at least get the opportunity to attend missed classes in summer or sthg :)

Lumine_fml 0

that is a very vicious cycle... theres nothing you can really do but get your doctor to write a note or something along those lines... im sorry for your situation

saxgirl32 0

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM i had to have both of my therapists write a note and my mom comes to school with me to talk meet with teachers about the situtation. it will get better :) BTW- DON'T SMOKE WEED!!!!!!!! THE PEOPLE THAT KEEP SAYING THAT, IT WON'T HELP! i've never smoked weed or done drugs, but i know that doing that won't help. just don't do it

ghall 0

Talk to your advisor or the student counselor if there is one, tell them what's up they'll help you come up with a solution. I feel ya though, I bombed my first semester thanks to panic attacks so don't feel like you're alone.

qcalamityinsane 0

Wow. This blows my mind as I'm having an anxiety attack right now about meeting with a counselor at my university for the EXACT same problem. I have pretty much stopped attending classes because of the same anxiety...it is absolutely a vicious circle. I'm only doing this to prevent my professor from failing me. This makes me feel a little bit less alone in this - what an unbelievable coincidence. I hope you take the advice from several other comments and do what I'm doing. Best of luck.

vt_mruhlin 0

"anxiety disorder" is just an excuse. Suck it up and get over it.

Namaste_fml 2

You don't "get an anxiety disorder" over just one little thing like that. You don't just all of the sudden contract it. It's a serious issue. An anxiety disorder is not just "omg, what if I fail?"

I had an excellent GPA in high school because I knew where I wanted to go and I knew what I had to do to get in there. I got in but I decided to pursue a different major and ended up at a much less prestigious school. When those hopes and dreams fell down the crap shoot, I really had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, so for the next two semesters I just started failing shit. Now that I'm back on track, even when I'm absolutely prepared for class, I have this uneasy feeling in the back of my head that makes me think I'm going to fail, so I guess in that sense I can empathize with you. Luckily for me I don't have anxiety. I hypothesize that these little worries in the back of my head stem from the idea that, after doing so well in school before and doing so shitty as of lately, I feel that I no longer control my destiny as a student, that hard work and studying, in the end, won't be enough. I have never met you in my life and never will but I'm guessing that's where some of your anxiety comes from, this idea of helplessness. I could've easily let my cumulative sub-2.0 GPA if-I-do-shitty-again-this-semester-I'm-officially-kicked-out-of-college mentality step in and worry the hell out of me but I didn't. I'm getting great grades this semester and restoring my confidence in my own abilities. That's probably what you need, to believe you are where you are because you deserve to be there and not because you somehow got lucky. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF and I promise you'll do well.