By disfordiploma - 25/03/2009 04:12 - United States

Today, I found out that I'm failing this semester because I've missed too many classes. I've missed the classes because I've been having panic attacks, a symptom of my anxiety disorder. I got the anxiety disorder because I was so afraid of failing school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 108 287
You deserved it 28 264

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Smoke some weed. That will help with the anxiety. Also, realise that there is more to life then good grades. They help sure but they are not the be all and end all. And life really begins after you finish school. Not during.

Speak with your school's disability services. I've had the same thing happen to me before, and it ish totally not cool.

Comments

alex_vik 0

#17 - Half the site will recommend weed because half the site are potheads.

@#38 You said: I love all the people here who say "What you need to do is go to the therapist or go to a doctor so they can give you drugs to take." I'd say he needs to go to his doctor or therapist so THEY can decide if he needs to take drugs, if he has a medical problem, or if he's just a scared normal student. I'd hardly prescribe medications to every patient that walked into my clinic. However if there's a real defect that can be fixed, as sometimes very much IS the case, then a pharmaceutical solution might be in order.

jackson7787 0

@29's comment: ""anxiety disorder" is just an excuse. Suck it up and get over it." Seriously? Anxiety disorders and panic attacks are very real. They aren't something that you can just get over. They can come out of the blue or they can be brought on by events in your life. They're extremely debilitating. Extreme anxiety, depression, panic attacks, and social anxiety ruled my life from the age of 13 to 18 (and I'm still dealing with it to this day--I'm 21). So many people told me to just get over and that I was just being a drama queen that it took me years to get help. It took be hospitalized and weighing only 89 lbs at 17 to finally make me realize that I needed to so something because I was not eating. It's ignorant people like you that made my life miserable.

@ #44 So your saying you wouldn't prescribe meds to every patient that comes in but more often then not you are going to dose them up as they do have a diagnosable problem(or at least the symptoms of said problem). And what about if the meds have unknown long term side affects? Because we all know the FDA does such a great job with ensuring the pubic interest doesn't get in the way of nice healthy profit margins. They are just meant to take them and fix the problem short term instead of possibly addressing the deeper issues that are causing their physical symptoms to manifest? I'm not saying that it's never a good idea to go to the doctor for these sorts of things but it is not always the only answer. The mind is a powerful thing. If something is subconsciously upsetting them then it could cause these types of symptoms.

loopy_fml 0

Been there. Done that. You'll get through it.

this actually just happened to me yesterday. don't listen to any of these noobs. don't drink, or smoke pot, don't go on medications for the anxiety. all of that will just cause more problems which will then cause you to become more anxious. i find if im about to have a panic attack or anxiety attack best thing is to sit down, put your head between your knees and BREATH. sit there for a good 5-10 minutes and it should pass. if you talk to your doctor, he/she can give you alternative ways to get rid of the anxiety or control it without being on medications. ive had my anxiety for 2 years now and have managed to control it a lot better than when i first had it. if you need any more information or anything feel free to ask!

crowdish 0

Yesterday my anxiety disorder was so bad that it prevented me from going out to a doctor's appointment about my anxiety disorder. Don't listen to anyone who's dissing you. A lot of people don't even believe anxiety disorder exists. They're brats. Also don't listen to people who flat out say not to go on medication. It can really, really help. #49, it's great if you can control your anxiety disorder after two years, but I've had it for over six years and I am not even close to functional when I'm not on medication. It's different for everyone.

braFTW 0

So, you're failling the semester because you were afraid to fail the semester.. I guess it's right what they say that fear IS our worst enemy.

ronburgundy 0

Oh jesus dont smoke weed!!! i have severe general anxiety disorder and trust me bad idea!!! i'm going through EXACTLY the same thing. seek counselling it helps stick in there it gets better

exactly. a lot of people don't need to be on medication its just an easy solution to fix it which then causes other problems. it completely mixed with my moods and didn't help in the long run. the medication doesnt actually do anything for anxiety. they are anti-depressants that the doctor gives you, which depression is the same part of the brain as where the anxiety comes from. so its not really helping with the anxiety its just mellowing you out and making you "happy".